• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I got a rear end.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
If you swap over to the 10" drums you will need to pull the axle shafts so like sgtsandman said just peek at the stamps on the gear then.

I put new backing plates on an old 84 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme due to being in a rust prone area. They had a split back plate that allowed you not to have to remove the axles to install them, which I though was a cool idea till I broke a bolt holding the old one on and had to remove one side anyways.

I'm assuming this is trying to be done on the cheap but figured this info may be pertinent of you wish not to have the truck down for any longer than necessary since the backing plates will need to be changed and the old axle will need to be disassembled to get the plates off.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'd replace the axle seals before installing it as a precaution anyway. If they start leaking your brake shoes are apt to be ruined before you find out. If the pinion seal starts leaking hopefully you'll see it before enough leaks out to cause damage and it won't leak on anything that would be hurt.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
I agree with 19Walt93 on this one, since you will be that deep into it and axle seals are cheap pop a set in but if there is no sign of the pinion seal leaking leave it alone for now. I hate doing pinion seals, I'm always afraid of over tightening the nut and damaging the crush sleeve so take my opinion on that as just some fraidy cat on the net. :)

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The axle spins nice and there isn't any slop at the pinion flange so I am just going to leave everything be other than changing the diff fluid bc I already have everything and I am not 100% sold that it is a good rear end since I live in the rust belt and it's got some rust. Should be good. I hope. Knock on wood.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
The axle spins nice and there isn't any slop at the pinion flange so I am just going to leave everything be other than changing the diff fluid bc I already have everything and I am not 100% sold that it is a good rear end since I live in the rust belt and it's got some rust. Should be good. I hope. Knock on wood.
you do realize we are taking seal and not bearings right? Hell most times when I pull the axles I just use the end of the axle to pop the seal out kinda one long motion and done.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I understand. I just don't want to put any more money into it unless I absolutely have to. I'm on the verge of selling the truck so right now I just want to get it driving good again. If it needs seals then I'll do them but I'm not gonna throw parts at it if I don't need to. Already spending money on new hardware for the swap, possibly a new diff cover and who knows what else might break while trying to do the swap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals