• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I got a welder......FINALLY

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i was at lowes yesterday getting some spray paint for the old battle axe and naturally, i decided to get a welder too.

i cant build a skyscraper with it, but it should fit my needs just fine. it'll do steel and aluminum (once i get a spool gun and some argon).

i can do up to 1/4" with fluxcore and i think 12 gauge on alminum. me and my dad have a bunch of projects lined up for it. i'm gonna do some bumpers for the b2 as well, plus i need to gusset lift brackets, do my spring perches, etc., etc.

i havent welded in quite a while, so everyone give me your .02 cents on setups, techniques and all that crap. btw, it's a lincoln 125 :icon_welder:

guitarSteve

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I love welding. Used to be certified 6G stick welder (all position pipe).

Something about the world being all dark except for that little puddle made the day go fast!

I'd love a wire feed rig like that. Very handy thing to have around. Congrats!

I can't give much advice being as I was a stick welder, but I've done a little bit of wire feed and like it.

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Congrats. Get some scrap metal and practice practice. Start with flux ore and once you make nice fluxcore welds start using your gas and your welds will look very nice.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Congrats. Get some scrap metal and practice practice. Start with flux ore and once you make nice fluxcore welds start using your gas and your welds will look very nice.
thanks guys!!! yeah, i have a few pieces laying around right now that i wanna practice on.

Start with flux ore and once you make nice fluxcore welds start using your gas and your welds will look very nice.
do i need to get gas for it? i wanna weld up the axle tubes on my 8.8 and gusset some lift brackets this week. can i flux core that?

and where might one find gas? the manual advised 100% argon to do aluminum. and a mixture of argon and CO2 for steel.

we had a badass thousands of dollars lincoln welder in the shop when i was in college, it would do anything. i know we had it rigged up for gas, but i never paid attention to it, just used it when i needed it for a project.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nice machine. http://www.mwsc.com/ i would recommend or just google welding supply in your area for argon. if you plan on welding aluminum just get argon cylinder, no c/o argon mix because you can still weld steel with straight argon. they mix in c/o just to make shield gas for steel cheaper.
the argon-c/o mix isnt used for aluminum because it does not protect the aluminum from the atmosphere and reacts to the carbon dioxide when the metal pool cools and wont fuse the metals well at all.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
nice machine. http://www.mwsc.com/ i would recommend or just google welding supply in your area for argon. if you plan on welding aluminum just get argon cylinder, no c/o argon mix because you can still weld steel with straight argon. they mix in c/o just to make shield gas for steel cheaper.
the argon-c/o mix isnt used for aluminum because it does not protect the aluminum from the atmosphere and reacts to the carbon dioxide when the metal pool cools and wont fuse the metals well at all.
thanks for the link. i just remembered i used to drive past a welding supply shop going to my last job, i need to go check them out

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice. Now get to fabbing!

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think you're gonna have a blast with the new toy!

I've got a flux-core wirefeed, it's a Campbell Hausfeld 115v. Got it at Menards, several years ago. Built several bumpers for Jeeps in the area with it, plus some work on my own CJ-7. Never had an issue arise with either it or it's results. I doubt I ever use a stick welder again.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a fairly new Miller 211 with spool gun, been getting back into aluminum and building a bunch of tunnel-jet boats. I have dam like 8 welders now but still need to get set-up for TIG again so I can do stainless and aircraft frames. I have a little lincoln like you have but it sucks with flux-core, I use CO2/Argon on all of them except the 211 for aluminum it's 100% Argon and of course not the stick welders like my big 250 diesel on the trailer. I also have full torch set-ups and a Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter to boot. Here is the 211 on about the 3rd tunnel-jet

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For fluxcore you don't need gas but I would practice making nice welds with fluxcore because its cheaper then wasting gas and once you can get nice fluxcore welds the gas welds will feel easier. At least that was my experience. I would only use gas for structural pieces in my opinion since flux core isn't the best but if you throw it on the back of your rig fluxcoe is nice for outdoor use because the wind will not blow away your shielding gas on tue trail.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here is one i built for a friend.

Part of the collection of money pits

The motor going back in my jet-boat

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
those look good lima bean, way beyond my grasp right now lol

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
those look good lima bean, way beyond my grasp right now lol
You will get there man, you got the welder now so just have fun with it.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought a similar welder last summer got gold gas for it and a decent helmet it was man I shoulda done that a long time ago.Had a torch set a friend gave me when I helped him move.I'm like you no where near Lima Bean but it gets my little hobby jobs done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals