• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I have never posted and need help

Riddgepresley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok guys don’t get mad I’m new to this I’ve built a lot of stuff in my day and I’m lost on the newer fuel injection stuff I’m building a 1987 ranger 4x4 5speed truck i just bought a 1996 explorer today for 200.00 it won’t do anything in drive but has the 4.0 so i want to put that 78k mile 4.0 in my ranger keep my 5 speed and my truck has a push button 4x4 that works i would like to keep it as well i don’t care about air conditioning so not a problem there i just want the ranger dash to work and the transfer case to work with a 4.0 what will that take for me to make happen? Any help will be gratefully taken and I’m sorry again if i make anyone mad I’m sure there has been more then one person ask this over the years

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

electric 4WD isn't part of engine/computer system, its separate so outside of 12volt power changes made in engine bay it won't be effected

Pretty straight forward swap...........if your 1987 Ranger has a V6 in it, a 2.9l, you don't say, Rangers also has 4cyl 4x4 5-speeds in 1987

2.9l and 4.0l used the same Block so transmission matches up, 4cyl trans wouldn't

4.0l swap info here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/4L_Conversion_faqs.shtml

The 1987 5-speed(Mitsubishi FM145) is OK but just OK, 1990-1997 M5OD-R1 from 4.0l 4x4 is a GREAT 5-speed

Riddgepresley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

electric 4WD isn't part of engine/computer system, its separate so outside of 12volt power changes made in engine bay it won't be effected

Pretty straight forward swap...........if your 1987 Ranger has a V6 in it, a 2.9l, you don't say, Rangers also has 4cyl 4x4 5-speeds in 1987

2.9l and 4.0l used the same Block so transmission matches up, 4cyl trans wouldn't

4.0l swap info here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/4L_Conversion_faqs.shtml

The 1987 5-speed(Mitsubishi FM145) is OK but just OK, 1990-1997 M5OD-R1 from 4.0l 4x4 is a GREAT 5-speed
Thanks so much my truck is a 2.9 i should have said that i have had it since i was 16 and it was my daily till i was 26 i have put over 450k miles on the old truck and I’m just tired of rebuilding the old 2.9 everything on the old truck still works other then the ac and power steering witch I’m ok with will the explorer ecu work even tho I’m not swapping the dash and It’s a auto but I’m using a manual trans i will find a m50d when the old trans Finley dies but i would like to know if i should stay with the ranger clutch or and flywheel or will that work

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals