• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I Need A Discontinued GEM Module / Parasitic Drain Issue Killing My Battery

NDL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2001 Ranger XL 2.5L truck, straight drive.

I had a parasitic drain issue which continually drained/killed my battery overnight, which I traced down to a faulty GEM module. When I disconnected the GEM module, the parasitic drain stopped, and, believe it or not, *everything* but my wipers worked.

The module for my truck is discontinued, and I am not going to buy a used unit which may or may not work, for how long, etc. After calling around, I found a GEM module for a 2001 Ranger 4 x 4. I plugged the new module in; the parasitic drain issue stopped; everything worked, but my speedometer went crazy, and my motor wouldn't rev past 2,300 rpm - it was as if the motor was running too lean; the motor would sputter and almost die.

I pulled the truck over, put in the original GEM module, and the truck is back to normal - sans the parasitic drain issue. For now, I pulled the negative terminal off my battery.

The module number is EL5Z-14B205-DRM, and several websites say they have the part, but when you call them, they say they don't have the part.

Suggestions? I cannot afford a new truck, and a used module is too much of a gamble. The only replacement manufacturer that I have seen, is cardone, and I won't buy cardone.

Thank you

romcjr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 & 2019
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Engine Size
4.0l V6 & 2.3L ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/75r/16
Ebay ?? Lots of auto salvage yards listed there . :dntknw:

Reactions: NDL

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Only the 1998-2000 V6 Rangers plus the 1998-2001 2.5l Ranger used the GEM for speedometer conversion

2001 GEM from a V6 wouldn't work, I assume it was a V6 GEM because 2001 2.5l or 2.3l never came with 4WD
Thats why it didn't work in your Ranger, the speedo was the big issue

You shouldn't have any problem using a used 1998-2000 Ranger GEM, any engine size but should be 2WD

They didn't break that often

I have read of people cleaning the GEM circuit board with Isopropyl alcohol(no water in it) then let it dry and try it, it has worked, and almost free
Don't use vodka, really not the same, lol

Last edited:

NDL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
(For some reason, the quote feature isn't loading properly, so I will reply in a general response)

Thank you all, for taking the time to write. Not only have you all given me some ideas, but Ron, you educated me on how the modules work.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The module number is EL5Z-14B205-DRM, and several websites say they have the part, but when you call them, they say they don't have the part.

Suggestions? I cannot afford a new truck, and a used module is too much of a gamble. The only replacement manufacturer that I have seen, is cardone, and I won't buy cardone.

Thank you
I had many customers bring in their own "used" gem modules-- they worked fine, in 98% of the cases--the "rebuilt" ones, on the other hand, did not always work--I would not discount, using a "used" GEM.

NDL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I had many customers bring in their own "used" gem modules-- they worked fine, in 98% of the cases--the "rebuilt" ones, on the other hand, did not always work--I would not discount, using a "used" GEM.
Appreciate you sharing your experience. Now, when you talk about rebuilt modules, I am assuming that you're talking about something other than motorcraft rebuilt modules (I hope)?

NDL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual

Thanks to y'all, I have a better grasp of this issue (with the GEM module).

I am gonna pitch these questions out there, in case someone might have the knowledge base to answer them:

1) When I pull the GEM module out of my truck, everything but the wipers works. When I put a 4x4 module in my truck, the speedometer went haywire - understandable. But my motor wouldn't rev past 2,000 rpms. Why?

2) If I take the replacement GEM module (4x4) to a dealer, can they reflash it to work with my truck? If so, what would that cost?

3) I can't imagine water or anything else deforming my original GEM module, so I don't anticipate seeing a circuit board that has breaks in any of the traces. Would dust and dirt cause for the board not to work? I wouldn't be surprised if dust, etc., accumulated on the board over it's lifespan. A simple cleaning should repair the problem?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice; right now, I have disconnect the negative terminal when I park the vehicle - so not as to kill my battery. I am hoping to fix the problem for good.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Some cheap options.
1.Put a toggle switch on the power wire that’s causing the issue. (Don’t forgot to shut it off.)
2.Wire it to a relay that’s activated by key on power. (Fully automatic, no need to do anything.)
3.Install a battery quick disconnect and disconnect it every night. (Don’t forget to shut it off.)

I would go with option #2.

NDL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Some cheap options.
1.Put a toggle switch on the power wire that’s causing the issue. (Don’t forgot to shut it off.)
2.Wire it to a relay that’s activated by key on power. (Fully automatic, no need to do anything.)
3.Install a battery quick disconnect and disconnect it every night. (Don’t forget to shut it off.)

I would go with option #2.
I appreciate your suggestions.

I am a novice with all of this, and the replies on this thread have been most encouraging - at least I am not alone in trying to figure this out.

As for option #2, that makes the most sense. I have no idea of what I am doing; can you give me an idea of what to do, or where to look? If I pull fuse #26, it cuts the power to the GEM module, and the issue is made null and void. How do I piggyback off of this circuit, and install a passive relay? What do I do? How does it work?

I currently have a battery quick disconnect installed, yet I don't like having it on there; there's the one in a million horror story of the unit cracking while driving, which would cut off my engine...not a good idea.

Again, thanks for your time and suggestions

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Without cutting a wire on your truck (so you can return it to stock if you ever find a replacement GEM.):

Buy one of these

(First one I found in a quick search... you can probably find a better deal, faster shipping, etc)

Fuse adapter

Buy one of these:

It called an Add-a-circuit. I don have a link to one.

Make sure you get them for the size fuses that your truck has. (ATM, I think.)

Get a 12 volt relay. Standard RY30, Bosch 4 or 5 pin, or equivalent.

Assemble everything...
Cut one of the wires on the fuse adapter in half. Attach one side to pin 30 on the relay. Attach the other side to pin 87. Plug it where fuse#26 is. Find a fuse that only has power with the key on, plug the add-a-circuit in there. Attach the wire from it to pin 85 on the relay. Ground pin 86.

If you do it this way, you don’t have to cut any wires on the truck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Thanks to y'all, I have a better grasp of this issue (with the GEM module).

I am gonna pitch these questions out there, in case someone might have the knowledge base to answer them:

1) When I pull the GEM module out of my truck, everything but the wipers works. When I put a 4x4 module in my truck, the speedometer went haywire - understandable. But my motor wouldn't rev past 2,000 rpms. Why?

2) If I take the replacement GEM module (4x4) to a dealer, can they reflash it to work with my truck? If so, what would that cost?

3) I can't imagine water or anything else deforming my original GEM module, so I don't anticipate seeing a circuit board that has breaks in any of the traces. Would dust and dirt cause for the board not to work? I wouldn't be surprised if dust, etc., accumulated on the board over it's lifespan. A simple cleaning should repair the problem?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice; right now, I have disconnect the negative terminal when I park the vehicle - so not as to kill my battery. I am hoping to fix the problem for good.
#1, the door ajar and dome light should have been effected with no GEM installed, and yes the wipers

#2, no, it has a different circuit board with no Speedometer interface, only the 1998-2000 Rangers used this circuit, plus the 1998-2001 2.5l, computer also needs speed signal without it RPMs are effected

#3, maybe, free to try it, the battery is draining because the timer circuit in the GEM is not working

The GEM has a timer that is activated after key is turned OFF and doors are both closed, after about 20-30minutes it will OPEN the Battery Saver relay which cuts power to everything except radio clock/preset, computer KAM(keep alive memory) and keyless entry/ "door open" switches
This is not happening in your GEM, or the battery saver relay is not working

You can swap around the battery saver relay as a test, its in a Relay Box #1 which is above gas pedal under the dash, box has a black cover over it
Layout of relays seen here: https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/uploads/sasso1179/2010-07-12_195044_relays_one.gif

If you swap it with interior lamp relay and lights stay on with doors closed then relay is bad, stuck closed, so not a GEM issue at all

NDL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Without cutting a wire on your truck (so you can return it to stock if you ever find a replacement GEM.):

Buy one of these
View attachment 35785
(First one I found in a quick search... you can probably find a better deal, faster shipping, etc)

Fuse adapter

Buy one of these:
View attachment 35786

It called an Add-a-circuit. I don have a link to one.

Make sure you get them for the size fuses that your truck has. (ATM, I think.)

Get a 12 volt relay. Standard RY30, Bosch 4 or 5 pin, or equivalent.

Assemble everything...
Cut one of the wires on the fuse adapter in half. Attach one side to pin 30 on the relay. Attach the other side to pin 87. Plug it where fuse#26 is. Find a fuse that only has power with the key on, plug the add-a-circuit in there. Attach the wire from it to pin 85 on the relay. Ground pin 86.

If you do it this way, you don’t have to cut any wires on the truck.
Many thanks for your very helpful reply. Your proposal is cheap, easy, and safe.

***Thank you***

Last edited:

NDL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
#1, the door ajar and dome light should have been effected with no GEM installed, and yes the wipers

#2, no, it has a different circuit board with no Speedometer interface, only the 1998-2000 Rangers used this circuit, plus the 1998-2001 2.5l, computer also needs speed signal without it RPMs are effected

#3, maybe, free to try it, the battery is draining because the timer circuit in the GEM is not working

The GEM has a timer that is activated after key is turned OFF and doors are both closed, after about 20-30minutes it will OPEN the Battery Saver relay which cuts power to everything except radio clock/preset, computer KAM(keep alive memory) and keyless entry/ "door open" switches

You can swap around the battery saver relay as a test, its in a Relay Box #1 which is above gas pedal under the dash, box has a black cover over it
Layout of relays seen here: https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/uploads/sasso1179/2010-07-12_195044_relays_one.gif

If you swap it with interior lamp relay and lights stay on with doors closed then relay is bad, stuck closed, so not a GEM issue at all
I appreciate the reply Ron. And yes, you're right; I forgot to mention that the dome light got knocked out too.

As for point #2, thank you for educating me. I also appreciate your suggestions...this week I am gonna try pulling the Battery Saver relay, and check to see what happens.

**Thank you** for your gift of time.

NDL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual

Now that I am thinking about it, a couple of years ago, I swapped the column in my truck for a tilt column. In any event, I had an issue with the truck, and I wound up swapping relays in the relay box.

Now you got me thinking....

Between You & Snoranger, you both gave me a lot of great info, and things to think about.

We just moved to a new City, and we are renting temporarily, which has me working on my vehicles in empty parking lots. Next shot I get at taking a look at this, I will do as you suggested - as both suggestions (You and Snoranger) are excellent.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals