• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I need help

suomi_30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Transmission
Manual
I have a 91 extended cab short box ranger 2wd, i also have a 84 regular cab long box ranger 4wd, is it in any way, possible to use the front and rear end and transfer case from the 84 to convert the 91 to 4wd ? the motor in the 84 is blown. or am i just plain screwed and stuck with a 2wd??

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
it is alot of work you also need the engine crossmember. what engines are they? if one is a 4 cyl and the other a v6 you would also have problems. now if one is a 2.8 and the other a 2.9 trannys would swap. you would also need a rear shaft. how attached to these trucks are you? it is more cost effective to find a 4x4 than try to build your own if you need it as a daily driver. i am not saying it can't be done but it is very time consuming.

suomi_30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Transmission
Manual
Thanks baddis

Thanks for the help, the 84 has a carbeurated 2.8, and the 91 has a 3.0 efi, i'm kinda broke so finding a new truck is kinda out of the question, so i'm basically stuck with what i've got, i'm just trying to make it work if i can. the 84 is an automatic, the 91 is a five speed, i'm not sure if that gives you some more info but anything could help right?

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
ok your bell housings are different BUT the 84 should have a c5 that has a removable housing.if you find a 3.8 c5 housing you could do a 302 swap easier than doing a 4wd conversion.

suomi_30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Transmission
Manual
i see, thanks for the help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals