• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I want the most simple 4.0 possible.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the reply man,no offence ment in your meh thead. it makes sense that ford woulden't change the harness much from a 91 2.9 to a 91 4.0.awsome now i just need to get a vehicle(or person) i can unload all my worthless 2.9l performance stuff on.do you guys know if the 2.9 headers will work if a bung is welded on for the recirculation?
What are you talking about "Recirculation"?

EGR? 90-93 4.0's don't have EGR so it isn't an issue.

but if you have headers for a 2.9 they aren't going to fit

The block decks are taller (by 0.80"/20mm) and this the heads are slightly higher in the chassis and further apart.

I think you are best off selling your JBA's to some dedicated 2.9 lover, than you would be to hack them up in some attempt to make them fit a 4.0.

And besides 4.0's have larger exhaust ports and thus won't match the smaller primary pipe diameter of the 2.9 headers anyway.

do you need a smog referee to certify it in wyoming allen?sounds like it would pass here in CA with all the emissions.
Wyoming has no emmissions and in point of fact no inspection whatsoever. they pass out "fix it tickets" and you have 10days(?) to correct the problem (and have it verified by a state trooper)
or pay a fine.

But I'm not in wyoming or registered in wyoming.
I live in Pennsylvania, my brother lives in wyoming.

AD

AD

Last edited:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
What are you talking about "Recirculation"?

EGR? 90-03 4.0's don't have EGR so it isn't an issue.

but if you have headers for a 2.9 they aren't going to fit

The block decks are taller (by 0.80"/20mm) and this the heads are slightly higher in the chassis and further apart.

I think you are best off selling your JBA's to some dedicated 2.9 lover, than you would be to hack them up in some attempt to make them fit a 4.0.

And besides 4.0's have larger exhaust ports and thus won't match the smaller primary pipe diameter of the 2.9 headers anyway.

Wyoming has no emmissions and in point of fact no inspection whatsoever. they pass out "fix it tickets" and you have 10days(?) to correct the problem (and have it verified by a state trooper)
or pay a fine.

But I'm not in wyoming or registered in wyoming.
I live in Pennsylvania, my brother lives in wyoming.

AD

AD
is the truck legal in PA,whats the process? yes i was refering to EGR,you see in the wonderful land of california we get cars that no one else gets(or wants:icon_twisted:).91 diden't have it but here are some #'s off the emission label on a 94 4.0l explorer with EGR.
F4AE-9C485-K H C
RFM4.028G1EB-TWC/HO2S/EGR/SFI
the bung is tward the front side of the truck 2"s above the ears for the Y-pipe on the driver side manfold.the tube goes up to the EGR,which bolts to the side of the upper intake.
i have an isuzu pickup with the california emissions package also and its a mother to get parts for.different cat,ex. manifold,etc.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply alland, and kopycat that was about what I was wanting to hear. If its a ton easier I'll prolly stick with the explorer's harness but I'm trying to eliminate as many wires as possible and avoid caring about gauges or even blower motors. I just want the engine to run. I'll be surprised if I even have a windshield to defrost for much longer; I'm not worried about it, this is a trail pig. I do wish this was a cleaner going swap, but as circumstances fell I had about half an hour in the dead of winter in the driveway to pull the 4.0. I think I pulled off everything I need but I definately did not have the time to compare the two engine bays label everything etc. etc. and this was almost three years ago I pulled the engine and the 2.9 just crapped out on me so its a good time for the 4.0. I know I have the explorer's ecm and engine wiring harness so I will dig it out and lay it out and look it over but I was looking for more of an answer like kopy cat's. if its that easy though just to stick with the explorer's harness i will. thanks.
if you don't care about anthing but essentials why not split open that explorer harness and only use the ones for the motor.get a good wiring diagram for both trucks,and you should be able to splice in to the b2's power and grounds for everything eh?re wire the fuel pump,dis and computer right?just start eliminating circuits you don't need.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
there was some one around here that was saying to use your fingertips and slide the clutch disc around until its equal distances from the edges of the flywheel.i've also used sockets that fit snug in the pilot and disc on a bolt to get the job done.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Rick,

Read my CORRECTED post above, 90-93 4.0's don't have EGR, later ones do.
Then again, you are right with cali emmissions laws anything is possible.

and "splitting the harness" is EXACTLY what I did myself.
the fact that I was working on a Gen1 meant there was
no "Easy road" for a 4.0 swap.

So since "simple" was impossible I went for "elegant and complete"

Just be sure to split the explorer harness ONLY as it goes forward off of the power distribution box to cross the radiator support.

AD

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks man, sounds like you've done a couple of these before. I haven't even got the 4.0 in the truck as of yet so that's what i'm working on now. The 2.9 is out and I've just been buying things like new engine mounts, pilot bearing, plugs, wires, oil, filters, etc. removed the engine fan because it'll be going in with a taurus electric fan. one thing I might get caught up on is finding my old centering tool to install the flex plate know any tricks to help line it up by hand? I have no extra transmissions to steal the input from and other than buying another clutch kit auto parts stores are saying the alignment tool is obsolete to buy alone. i'll figure it out.

:icon_cheers:
Hey Burnside.....if you need help ask I have done a couple of them.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
BTW, I studied it to DEATH for YEARS before I took a razor blade to the first inch of harness wrap.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals