• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

IAC valve help

jml32788

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
So i took off my IAC valve and cleaned it out. I think mayb i cleaned it too roughly... possible? Well now i have a Check Engine light on. (wasnt on before)

Also at the advice of another rangerstation member i unpluged the IAC while the engine was running... could that mess up my ECU in any way?

The problem i was having in the First place was a high rpm when the heat was on, but now the problem is worse and does it now even when the heat is off.

Do i need a new IAC?

Some one please give me a hand here

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I think mayb i cleaned it too roughly... possible? Well now i have a Check Engine light on. (wasnt on before)
Yeah. Pull codes.

Also at the advice of another rangerstation member i unpluged the IAC while the engine was running... could that mess up my ECU in any way?
Not that I am aware of, I've done this several times. Was there any change in the idle when you unhooked it? I've also heard of tapping it, but I had a bad IAC, no codes, almost died when unhooked, cleaned, tapped w/ hammer, I tried everything to narrow it down, but I said F it on a whim and just bought a new one (since it appeared to be old), which resolved the issue I was having w/ idle.

The problem i was having in the First place was a high rpm when the heat was on, but now the problem is worse and does it now even when the heat is off.

Do i need a new IAC?
I would say maybe, but you should investigate a little more to be absolutely certain if you're hurting for money. I also am not certain how the two could be related. Some vehicles use vacuum for heater controls and what not (My '87 Marquis has this exact problem, ran like crap with the defrost on), I guess you could have a vacuum leak, but I am not fimiliar with how this works exactly in your truck as I am more fimiliar with Gen 1s. IACs are kind of salty.

Just some thoughts, I imagine there could be some inconsistencies in what I've said, but better than crickets chirping :).

Pete

jml32788

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah when i unplugged it the engine died.

I think im just going to cave and buy a new IAC

Thanks for the help Pete

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your CEL should have come on while the IAC is unplugged then gone off once it was plugged back in. its possible you either damaged the valve, or created a big enough vacuum leak at the valve gasket to trip a lean code. pull the codes and see whats up.

your heater/idle problem is almost definitely bad heater controls causing a vacuum leak.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals