• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Idea... Switched Centrifugal Supercharger?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Switched superchargers have existed, but they are pretty rare. You can't just slap a AC compressor type clutch on any old supercharger because the air cant flow past the vanes while it's not spinning. You'd essentially just be closing the entire intake off (i.e shutting the engine off)

This is why turbo chargers are better for fuel economy because the boost pressure and vanes can be adjusted on the fly to provide power, or economy.
Funny thing about the Ford Lightning. Several times I've had to drive it with the supercharger belt off. Runs like a slug, but still runs and gets me where I need to go. A lot slower is the only downside. But it's a roots style blower, not a centrifugal type. With the belt off, the blower still turns as the air passes through it. You can see the pulley on the front turning while running.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I thought PetroleumJunky was trolling us whith a fake account at first

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I thought PetroleumJunky was trolling us whith a fake account at first
Oh come on. I'm more creative than that.

What's that old saying? If you build it, they will come?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Also. Before I forget, if I had to start over I'd probably go the turbo route for a street truck. Not sure of your application. Supercharger for offroad, especially after seeing @PlumCrazy 's at the trail ride. (go read his build thread as well)

This is some of the turbo info on the old 2.8 kits

This is the true must read.

Back in the late 80s/early 90s the Brit guys had the 2.9 powered Ford Sierra XR4X4's outrunning the Lamborghini Countach on the quarter mile. To the trolls: yes, 1/10 a second is quicker. Plus you can't dump the clutch on an old Lamborghini. You can on the new ones. But you can't drag race the old ones. Go ahead. Dump the clutch on one. I'll wait here with a basket to help pick up your transmission.

Back on point:

It isn't hard to generate power on any of the Colognes, you just have to take the appropriate steps to make sure the block can handle it, same as literally any other engine.

If I were to re-start my project with a blower, I would DEFINITELY go the dual AMR500 route with a power steering delete, instead of the Mercedes blower I chose. Reason is the difficulty I've gone through trying to get a serpentine belt on the 2.9. Combine the dual v belt mini blowers with a GM 3.8 or 85/86 Ranger TB on a home made intake tube soldered together with aluminum braising rods and Sierra/Scorpio plenum. Would make for a true dual supercharger, dual plane self-equalizing forced induction setup. At that point, all you're doing is making a few brackets. Doesnt get any easier.

Turbo? Anything out of a Mitsubushi or Volvo. Anything from their 12T up to the 19T should work, but I am terrible at turbo sizing, so don't listen to me. ?

The "put a 4.0 in it" argument makes me sad; yes, it's easier. So is not wiping your a**.

Both ideas carry equal levels of ease because they're done to avoid work. Putting a 4.0 in gives you a mild torque and hp bump at the cost of max rpms. Building a 2.9 gives you an engine with a wider power curve that take a beating. I hammer on mine while force-feeding it washer fluid, and it keeps begging for more.

Besides, vehicles with hopped-up factory engines (especially the overlooked ones) are infinitely cooler in my eyes than engine Swapped ones. There are some exceptions to this; I saw 85_Ranger4x4's truck in person, absolutely fantastic job because it looks factory. But just stuffing a 4.0 in a 2.9's place? *yawn*

Everyone and their brother in law has a Chevy 350 crate engine or LS stuffed into something. They're cool, but it gets old.

A built, original flathead I6, or built "numbers matching" flathead Ford V8? I stop to look them over at every car show.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
There wouldn't be enough coolant left in a post apocalyptic wasteland to keep a 2.9 running...
I prefer pond water over prestone

The trick is to get them hot enough that the pond water in the radiator never freezes. Had a buddy growing up run his truck all winter here in NH on straight water, got home after 9 every night, back to school for 7, the water never froze lol.

If you want extra power only when you want it, go nitrous. If I were to redo my 2.9 days, I'd do all the little things like headers, throttle body, and timing, and add a 100 shot of giggle gas for when I needed it and see how long before the rings take a vacation to the oil pan.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Switched superchargers have existed, but they are pretty rare. You can't just slap a AC compressor type clutch on any old supercharger because the air cant flow past the vanes while it's not spinning. You'd essentially just be closing the entire intake off (i.e shutting the engine off)

This is why turbo chargers are better for fuel economy because the boost pressure and vanes can be adjusted on the fly to provide power, or economy.
Most roots blower setups have a vacuum actuated bypass valve for this reason. If the charger isn't moving enough air then the lower plenum goes into vacuum, and then that vacuum is used to open a butterfly valve that allows air to bypass the supercharger.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Interesting didnt know that

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Also. Before I forget, if I had to start over I'd probably go the turbo route for a street truck. Not sure of your application. Supercharger for offroad, especially after seeing @PlumCrazy 's at the trail ride. (go read his build thread as well)
The roots is good fun....but its hot....like super hot. I run 210* all the time, and more than 2-3 minutes of abuse in the rocks will put me at 230-240 real quick. It has instant power as soon as any pedal is applied and that is why I love it. No boost lag, just instant positive manifold pressure and parts breaking potential.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The roots is good fun....but its hot....like super hot. I run 210* all the time, and more than 2-3 minutes of abuse in the rocks will put me at 230-240 real quick. It has instant power as soon as any pedal is applied and that is why I love it. No boost lag, just instant positive manifold pressure and parts breaking potential.
Interesting. Any reason you went with the M45 over the M62/M90/Millennia IHI/SC12/SC14? Have pulled and sold quite a few M45s over the past year. Didn't think they'd hold up.for the 2.9, let alone 1.1l larger.

Heat mitigation and modular design were the entire reason I went with M62.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
add a 100 shot of giggle gas for when I needed it and see how long before the rings take a vacation to the oil pan.
Im not sure how i missed this thread...

But honestly....prolly longer then you would think. If you can keep it cool, the 2.9 is a stout ass little piece of iron.

A 100 shot might be a bit much, but ill wager itll hang on long enough for you to regret doing it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals