• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

idle not steady

joeranger

Reaction score
strange issue on my V6 2011 Ranger. if I have the heater control knob turned to use both dash and floor vents I hear a clicking noise and idle will cycle up and down. Checked and not AC clutch engaging. Move knob to dash or floor vent only - idle steady. If I move knob to defrost AC does cycle on/off with corresponding increase in idle.
Too cold to fix - just an annoying problem and like most problems I get it doesn't happen consistently . Any suggestions?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Vent flaps are controlled by Vacuum Motors, engine vacuum is routed to these to pull open a flap and hold it open or vacuum is cut to close that flap.

So on the back of your Vent Selector is a Vacuum hose matrix.
If one of these hoses has a leak then it is a vacuum leak for the engine.

Now you may also have another issue because a vacuum leak in the cab Vent system should not effect the engine.

Set vents to Panel and fan on high, then accelerate and see if air starts to be diverted to Defrost Vent, put you hand at defrost vent
Defrost is the default setting for all the flaps, low or no vacuum = Defrost vent

The Vent system has a Vacuum reservoir in the engine bay, a black plastic ball, usually located low under passenger side Rad support.
If this reservoir is cracked or hoses to it are leaking then Vent system will lose vacuum when engine does, i.e. accelerating = low engine vacuum
Reservoir is there to prevent this loss of vacuum and also to prevent any engine issues when there is a leak in cab system.
The ball or the hose from the ball to engine intake manifold has a check valve, like brake power booster does, to prevent cab system from effecting engine

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals