• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ignition Switch Wiring

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does the 2004 ignition switch have slotted holes?
Could be the rod is pulling too far for START and not pushing far enough for ACC

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Well I got it working, the problem is I don't know what I did. I was trying to take the keyed ignition out and couldn't locate the button to push in to get it to come out, after a couple of tries I took the housing off the steering column and still couldn't push the button in enough to take the ignition out. I was getting cold so I decided to put it back together and try another time. While I was lining up the covers I noticed that the key looked like it was turned back a little further than it was before so I checked the radio and wipers and they work in acc. ?? The only thing I can think of is the PO had the keyed ignition out and didn't get back in correctly. I just now thought that I should have checked the button to see if it was sticking out further then it was when I was trying to push it. I'm happy because even if stops working again I know where to start.
RonD THANKS AGAIN for you help.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work

Thanks for posting the FIX, hopefully its stays working

Bastogne22

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, one yellow wire comes from the 50amp fuse(#11) and splits into 4 yellow wires at the ignition switch

Yes, with ignition switched in START position, its sends 12v out to fuse #24 on a red/blue wire
The key cylinder uses a gear and pulls and pushes the Actuator rod inside the steering column to slide the ignition switch into its 4 positions, ACC, OFF, RUN, START

Can you test the ignition switch manually?
You could have a problem with Actuator Rod not moving ignition switch all the way to START position

That same red/blue wire also sends power to fuse #28 which should MUTE the radio for startup
Can you use a momentary push button switch to bypass a broken actuator that won't reach the start position in an Automatic? Something like this?
Amazon.com: DaierTek 2pcs Momentary Horn Push Button Switch 12V Black Metal Waterproof 19mm Round Starter Power Switch for Car RV Truck Boat Marine : Automotive

Yellow wire to one terminal and red/blue wire to the other terminal?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals