• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

im stumped

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
ok me and my friend have a 1988 Ford Bronco 2 Eddie Bauer and it is currently being held in storage because we gave up on it.....but i want to try again because the Bronco 2 is AWESOME!!
Ok when we got it (it was free, this lady did'nt want to take it with her when she moved) it was sitting for 2 years, so we threw a new battery in it and drygas and fired it up it started right up and sounded good. So he drove it home and thats where it sat for another 6 months, accasionaly hed go outside and start it up let it run for awhile (he could'nt drive it yet he only had temp. plates and they exp. the next day.)
One day he was running it and he ran it out of gas (bad) the next day he got his licence and got the thing registered and insured.
Then we went to go get gas and we put about 2 gallons in to get it to the gas station. After the gas station we drove it around for 2 hours so he could show his girlfriend and his cousin. At his cousins work the truck started ideling REAL high (like 4 grand) wed shut it off and start it back up and it still did it after the 4 or 5 time of shutting it off and turning it back on it finally idled lower (like 1500).
Wen we got to his girlfriends work he shut it off then when he tried to turn it back on it would'nt start it turned over but did'nt start. He blew bolth fuel pumps, and there was a hole in the gastank...awesome. So we replaced the gastank and the pumps and the fuel filter(wich was NASTY), goes to turn it over, and the same problem turns over does'nt fire. No fuel pressure at the rail hmmmmm...bolth fuel pumps work (they humm when the truck is turned on) are the lines clogged from running the tank dry, you know maybe all the garbage in the tank on the bottom got into the lines/fuel rail???
it does fire but only if you feed gas/starting fluid into the throttle body (wierd) im stumped guys, sorry for the long story, can anyone help me out??

azhrei

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
two ideas

not sure if that year has it but a fuel regulator... also the high idle take a look at the IAC

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
check for a broken fuel line

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Disconnect the power at the pressure pump, Disconnect the fuel line from the inlet of the pressure pump, cycle the key, Does gas come out of the fuel line? work your way up until you find whats plugged. You might have Two fuel filters, the other one is in that black canister. That canister also has a check valve in it. The primer pump has to make enough pressure to open the check valve.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
have you checked for fuel pressure at the rail?

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
yup did all that

yeah like i said we replaced both fuel pumps....oh yeah AND the fuel pressure regulator i forgot about that:woot:
No theres no pressure at the rail at all not even air coming out, nothin.
so you guys think its a block in the line, or fuel rail, from running the truck out of gas?? i dont know though because if we feed it gas threw the throttle body, it fires :icon_confused:
whats the IAC sensor??and were is it located/what does it look like? Idle. Air. Control.?? I guessed, its a shot in the dark...am i right??

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
yeah like i said we replaced both fuel pumps....oh yeah AND the fuel pressure regulator i forgot about that:woot:
No theres no pressure at the rail at all not even air coming out, nothin.
so you guys think its a block in the line, or fuel rail, from running the truck out of gas?? i dont know though because if we feed it gas threw the throttle body, it fires :icon_confused:
whats the IAC sensor??and were is it located/what does it look like? Idle. Air. Control.?? I guessed, its a shot in the dark...am i right??

the AIC, It is mounted onthe passanger side of the intake manifold (upper) the one your air cleaner & hose goes to. about right in the middle.

maybe check the inertia switch,
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/InertiaSwitch.html

hope that helps

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
split hose to your master cylinder or PCV??

huge vacuum leak causing high idle got bigger till it wont run.

Bob

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals