• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Image of my Ranger Old Green

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
The 3.0's don't have as many aftermarket parts for building them compared to what the 4.0's have plus the 4.0's have more torque and H.P. lower in the RPM range more like a truck should have. These 3.0's were originally designed as a car engine so they produce their max H.P. and torque at a higher RPM where as the 4.0 was built with the truck in mind. For simple-(ish) bolt in power a swap to the 4.0 would yield best bang for buck bolt in parts with the added feature of easier to find performance parts.

Just my 2 cents on that.

PacificGreen1998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0l Vulcan v6 with low miles...
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock since 1998
My credo
That one guy with ADHD and doesn't stop talking about cars.
The 3.0's don't have as many aftermarket parts for building them compared to what the 4.0's have plus the 4.0's have more torque and H.P. lower in the RPM range more like a truck should have. These 3.0's were originally designed as a car engine so they produce their max H.P. and torque at a higher RPM where as the 4.0 was built with the truck in mind. For simple-(ish) bolt in power a swap to the 4.0 would yield best bang for buck bolt in parts with the added feature of easier to find performance parts.

Just my 2 cents on that.
Found performance stuff for a 3.0 even though there isn't much and I can put a bigger throttle body.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Some 3.0's can have the plenum changed also to a newer style, plastic plenum, IIRC my 94 can't have that swap but your 98 may or could already have it. It's been a long time since I was reading up on it.

PacificGreen1998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock since 1998
My credo
Some 3.0's can have the plenum changed also to a newer style, plastic plenum, IIRC my 94 can't have that swap but your 98 may or could already have it. It's been a long time since I was reading up on it.
I think mine has the fixed in place throttle body, 2003 and newer rangers had the bigger throttle body and improved intake manifold.....mines about a 53 mm opening and I'd like to install a 60mm or maybe bigger if possible, but always wanted to put a K & N cold air and pod filter set up... I probably will requote this tomorrow and pop in a pic of my current throttle body, poor girl needs a wash but I don't want to screw with her too much until I get the radio in and buttoned up...

PacificGreen1998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock since 1998
My credo
Got my new radio installed and working. Going to Walmart 7-26-19 (Today for me) and getting spacer plate so can get the dash back together...

Attachments

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good luck trying to get any real power from a 3.0 or 3.slow as most of us calls them. They are turn key and go motors and really reliable but have no power lol. So are you saying this is your grandpa's truck or your truck? I wouldn't go doing a bunch of stuff to it without talking to the actual owner of the truck lol. If it were my kid doing all this stuff to one of my vehicles I would have a problem. Your gramps may be different though. I like the wheels though. I don't know what a radio has to do with washing it (or not washing it in this case) either?

PacificGreen1998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock since 1998
My credo
Picture was older picture is to why I had cleaning products on the back, meaning to post newer pics soon, my honest opinion the 3.0l isn't that slow...I mean it's not snappy on gas peddle but it goes once you got your foot down, I do so much work to clean Old Green and maintenance that my grandpa agrees in a way it's my truck even though insurance and title are in his name...original radio got fried when rain from previous down pour came into cab from back window being open once we started driving and directly into the radio?. He is glad I work on the truck and fix stuff on it... Do you guy's think smoked headlights and taillights look good or bad? I like them but it takes away from the stock look though....also I'm wondering is Pacific green is a rather rare color because I don't see that many other rangers in that particular green as ford had many green color options and green trucks were very popular at time?....then it went to tan....but the color code is PS so definitely Pacific green...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals