• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Installing Fuel Injection in old carburetted Fords

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
There are a few situations that crop up when installing a high pressure fuel system in vehicles that were originally carburetted from the factory. I recently did an EFI installation on my BII which can be seen here:

I deliberately made no mention of the fuel system because I felt it deserved a separate thread.

Issue #1 is the high pressure fuel pump pickup needs to be constantly submerged in fuel when braking/accelerating/cornering. Old EFI systems had a tack-welded baffle around the fuel pump pickup. Pumps that are in the tank and push fuel will work better on hot days and help prevent vapor lock. If the sender opening is a small one a switch to a tank with a bigger opening will be necessary. As an example, 1984 Bronco II's had the small opening but 1985 switched to the bigger opening.

If the tank has the big opening but no baffle, using a pump with the plastic housing will take the place of the baffle. This works because the return line fills the plastic housing and insures the pickup always has fuel.

Issue #2 is fuel sender resistance changed with Ford from the 1986 to 1987 model year. Early senders were 73 ohms empty, 10 ohms full. Late senders are 16 ohms empty, 158 ohms full. The vast majority of stock EFI pump/sender units have the late resistance scheme.

My solution was to remove the fuel tank and drill a hole for an aftermarket fuel cell type sender.

You have to make sure there are no fumes in the tank before drilling. I drained the tank, wiped the inside with a towel, let it dry overnight, then stuck an air hose in for fifteen minutes until I could not longer smell fuel before drilling. I held a paint can cap against the inside of the tank to catch sparks and swarf from the hole saw.

The sender is universal and will probably be too long and need cut to size.

After all drilling I vacuumed the bottom of the tank, checked empty/full resistance and bolted everything together.

For fuel lines, there are several options. Rubber EFI hose (with the correct EFI clamps) is probably the cheapest, you can bend steel line to the task, AN hose and fittings are the most expensive option, but I chose plastic/nylon line and fittings assembled with the Dorman fuel line tool. Looks stock.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
super cool thread you are making. i think this is stuff people sometimes fail to think about when doing swaps, until its to late

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Where did you find the fittings with the internal o-rings to fit on the pump? My experience is the o-rings get hard and shrink over time and leak, but the only place I have found them is on new factory lines which are expensive...

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Dorman makes them. Most parts stores don't stock them, but they can be ordered.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals