• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

intake

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
i recently aquired a free K&N knock off cone style air filter and reminants of a "cold air" intake from a friend. i have sucked water into my filter on my b2 before so since i got all of this stuff for free and my b2 is basicly a trail rig i decided to make a snorkel of some sort out of what i had. the b2s and most if not all have the air box on the passangerside. i removed the air box top but LEFT the bottom . i attached the 12-16 inch section of stainless intake to the factory intake tube. the 12-16 inch section of stainless intake had a 90 degree bend right at the end of it and happened to end right at the corner of my hood! i faced the 90 degree bend upwards and slowly trimed the hood corner until the K&N knock off filter cleared the hood and dident interfere with the hood opening and closing. after finishing i realized the filter was safer from rivers and mud but it wasent safe from rain snow or ice. i went inside and grabed a empty plastic foldgers coffe can cut the back 1/4 out of it about 2/3s of the way down from the OPEN end of it. i fliped it over and screwed it down to the filter top. now the filter is sheilded from mud splashing, rain, snow, and my favorite, rivers. in my opinion this is equally as effective as those long snorkels people run all the way to the top of the cab because if you get in standing water all the way above the hood your intake will be the least of your worries and it is more shielded from splashs because the intake portion of the coffee can that i cut out is facing the cab. it ended up costing me nothing but if you were to buy all the supplys needed all you would need is the piece of stainless intake or equivlent mentioned before and a cone style filter. now granted i ended up cutting a 8inchx8inch section of my hood out to allow clearance for the filter and the cover but it is very water tight intake and i can monitor the filters status from inside the cab due to the hole cut out of the back of the coffee can. i left the bottom half of the air box to support the rubber intake piece along with the stainless piece and keep it high enough that the alternator pulley and fan dident hit it. others mite need to get creative and find a way to lift the intake pieces higher to keep them off the alternator. i am yet to do much wheeling with this set up but i have driven in the rain without incident. it was very straight forward and will get the air filter out of the engine compartment along with make it visable for inspection. it took me under half an hr to figure out how to do it. if you dont like cutting your hood for air filter clearance (remember i said around 8 inches square cut from your hood, thats big) or having a big ugly coffee can sticking out of your hood this isent for you. this should work with all 2.8 motors and i believe could be slightly adapted to make work for any RBV.

I AM OFFERING NO PROMISES THAT THIS WILL WORK FOR EVERY VEHICLE OR MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR WATER TO GET IN YOUR INTAKE! IF YOU BREAK ANYTHING OR SCREW YOUR VEHICLE UP WHILE DOING THIS MODFICICATION TOUGH SHIT I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR STUPIDITY.

pm me if you need help or need pictures for a better understanding of what i did. if i go out wheeling and find a downside or up side to this modification i will make it a point to inform you guys. if anyone does this please inform me of any issues you have with taking in water or other on how to improve it.

i was very tired when i posted this so pm me if you need help!

Last edited:

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sounds interesting but I prefer to keep it under the hood for my DD. Pics?

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds interesting but I prefer to keep it under the hood for my DD. Pics?
if you care about what your truck looks like i dont know if i recommend doing what i did. it dosent look bad but i think if you take your time when trimming the hood and dont mind removing the air filter to open your hood you could make the opening much tighter than mine is.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
OK thanks that's similar to what I had pictured. You need to put a plug in the chrome intake tube where it used to have the PCV or whatever, because you're suking in unfiltered air there.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK thanks that's similar to what I had pictured. You need to put a plug in the chrome intake tube where it used to have the PCV or whatever, because you're suking in unfiltered air there.
i realize that but havent because done it because i am stillunshure of the filter/sheilds performance in deep water etc and that would allow it to pull in just enough air to keep running if i was to some how cover the filter(snow). it will get covered soon enough. i have had to clean mud and water out of the intake so a little unfiltered air dosent concern me. thank you for pointing it out though its an atestment to your visual acuity.

predator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
cool idea!! but a question...are those boat cleats on your fenders??? not poking fun but why?

:idiot:

ok so it is kinda funny!!!

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cool idea!! but a question...are those boat cleats on your fenders??? not poking fun but why?

:idiot:

ok so it is kinda funny!!!
they were of my first ranger when i purchased it and they were so useful i saved them and put them on the b2.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i realize that but havent because done it because i am stillunshure of the filter/sheilds performance in deep water etc and that would allow it to pull in just enough air to keep running if i was to some how cover the filter(snow). it will get covered soon enough. i have had to clean mud and water out of the intake so a little unfiltered air dosent concern me. thank you for pointing it out though its an atestment to your visual acuity.

atleast put one of those little breather filters on it....other than that, thats a damn good idea. it wouldnt take a whole lot to clean it up a little and make it look good, maybe even move it back and recess it into the cowl a little. i like it!

predator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
what do you use them for??

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what do you use them for??
whatever in the heck i feel the need to attatch to my hood, roof, or interior. i have 6 or 8 of them. the other ones are going inside to hold down tool boxes and such. bungie cords and other anchoring devises attatch to them well.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cool.....good idea!!
i do lots of silly redneck things to make my rigs more usefull and am not ashamed of how trashy it looks. its a toy! i mean really, i plan of finding the most ugly bright paint i can soon and giving the b2 a rattle can paint job so its easy to find and hard to miss in the dark. ya know how i fix a broken hood latch? the cheap ricer hood pins from auto zone. no shame makes repairs a whole lot easier!

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Any recent resluts?

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any recent resluts?
not so much, recovering drunken friends from local parks because they decided it would be a good idea to do some turfing in a fullsize van right after a rain storm. in the process of redlining the b2 on many occassions i blew what i believe to be the lower intake gasket but more investigation is needed. i have the upper and lower intake off now but havent had time to wrench on it much or inspect the rear of the heads for noticable cracks that would cause coolant to come out the back of the intake, heads, or block.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals