• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermittent (Phantom) Windshield Wiper Fix

ranger95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the process of trying to fix my phantom wiper problem using the directions given in the technical library for this problem. I'm needing some help with reassemble though. I'm not sure where the small spring goes inside. Has anyone else done this or know where the small spring goes? Thanks!

ranger95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I was finally able to figure it out. The small spring went through the middle of the arm itself. Feel a little dumb seeing how it easy it was. :annoyed:

ranger95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Cleaning out the arm did not fix it. I thought maybe the problem was in the multifunction switch itself and replaced that altogether. It worked for a couple of days but today after the weather warmed up, it started again. The wipers just stay on high and I have to pull the fuse to get them to go off. What else could be going on?

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
I had something similar happen on my Blazer years ago. The motor itself was no good. It had an integrated control board that was flakey. Only way to fix it was to replace the wiper motor itself.

eztony

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ranger95, What did you mean by the smaller spring goes in the middle of the arm itsself? I have tried a few times and I can not figure out where this spring goes. It seems like everytime I think I got it figured out, I can not get it to reassmeble. For now I am running without it. At least the wipers work when I want them to so that is a big improvement in safety. Just to be clear, I am talking about the thinner spring with the copper end caps.

Many Thanks

Last edited:

Partwerks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I got mine cleaned up, but didn't see any small spring, till I seen it laying on the floor mat. I didn't even see it before. I could only find one of those brass ends for it though, and I didn't get to see where it goes in at?
Any ideas, with pictures?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals