• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is it normal? fuel pump

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Getting the ranger back together...new to the ranger so i'm unsure what to expect.

We (the boy & I ), were getting the fuel lines put back on, he turn on &off the key and I noticed that the fuel pump would only stay on for 2-3 sec...(hence on &off), so it took a bit to get fuel to come out of the schrader valve on the fuel rail.

1) I would expected the pump to stay on more that a couple of sec at a time.
Is that normal?:icon_confused:

2) when fuel finially got to come out of the valve ... it didn't seem like it had bunch of pressure....bearly came out of the schrader valve...I was expcecting it squirt up at me ..a bit.
do I need to replace the fuel pump?? (no I havn't replaced the fuel fillter YET)

thanks

philS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pump

1) I would expected the pump to stay on more that a couple of sec at a time.
Is that normal?

2) when fuel finially got to come out of the valve ... it didn't seem like it had bunch of pressure....bearly came out of the schrader valve...I was expcecting it squirt up at me ..a bit.
1. That's normal (on startup)

2. What are you using on the valve?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Just took a small screw driver to depress the center of the valve, to allow the air to bleed out. Just a clearifacation....technicaly it probibly isn't a fuel rail more of manifold.
Just prior to the injectors

but I hope eevryone understood what I was referring too

thanks

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Understood and that sounds about right from my experience. The pump runs until pressure is built up, about 35 psi and then shuts off. The liquid fuel and the fuel vapor pressurizes......you prolly had a vapor 'bubble' in the fuel line and it took a couple times for liquid gas to come out. When the engine starts, it will run more. I'd change the frame mounted fuel filter if it's been awhile though.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Agreed...I plan to change the filter...just havn't gotten that far yet.

yes It has been sitting for about 3yrs....I drained it down as far as I could go then droped in about 5gal of new gas. So I am not suprized to see a air bubble. I just was expecting a bit more of a fountain when gas finially came out of the valve. just barly cleared the valve stem...

sound from what been posted to be normal

thanks again

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If it was running, you'd have gas EVERYWHERE like a fountain...lol. FIre extinguisher would be next.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals