• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is my 3.0 the sluggish of them all?

bluedude2288

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I hear how sluggish the 3.0's are, but come on, really? My ranger is so slow it makes it hard to drive, getting on the highway is sometimes impossible, because I have to floor it on the accelartion ramp, and when the ramp ends im never up to speed to merge. I have like no power. My ranger is a 99 flex fuel automatic. I had it apart this summer due to a broken cam position sensor, didnt know the problem was so easy at the time, and ended up replacing the heads as they seemed to not look so hot and thought maybe that was my problem, but it wasn't. Engine has only 20k on it. I was thinking that maybe the computer could be bad, it seems sometimes like it shifts at crazy patterns. I know these engines used to be used in the Aerostars as well, my grandpa used to have and Aerostar and never had a sluggish problem or complained, when he bought this truck all he did was complain about its lack of power, it was in the dealer weekly, and Ford was constantly replacing parts telling him it was "fixed this time" so obviously they saw something wrong with it as well, let me know what you think.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
There could be something wrong.

The biggest problem I see is that it has an auto tranny. My suggestion would be to swap in a 5spd or get ahold of a programmer and change the shift points.

The 3L HAS to rev. I never shift it under 2K, and an auto will. This will also leave it sucking gas. I rev it past 4K when pulling out into traffic and need to get my A$$ moving.

I cruise at about 3-3,400 rpms. This is where the 3L's peak torque is, and where it's leanest a/f mixture is found. My truck sucks gas if I cruise at anything under 3K.

What's the truck geared at?

It's just the nature of this engine.

As for there being problems with the engine, did you put the right flex-fuel heads on? Any codes or CEL's?

bluedude2288

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
No CEL's, yea I made sure they were flex fuel heads, performance was identical with the old and new ones. My gas mileage is so poor, I usually get around 12-14 MPG w/ 95% highway driving. There are rare circumstances where I go to take off from a stop and the thing is a beast, takes of quick, spinning tires on dry pavement, but 95% of the time i go to take off and its as if I'm hauling a semi behind me.

I was thinking about getting another ecu from the junkyard just to eliminate this as a possible problem, while it was in the shop all those times, one of the things they did replace was the ECU saying that it was bad.

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I definately think the auto has somehting to do with it... because both mine and my friends truck have 3.0L and 5spds and they don't act anything like what everyone one here discribes them as.

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
Must be the auto. Have you tried turning the O/D off? My 5spd truck has no problem getting up to 70+mph on an on-ramp, also averages 20+ on the highway.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Could be the flex fuel as well, I know people that have had flex fuel rangers, they all complain about the sluggishness.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Whats your definition of "sluggish"? 0-60mph in 12 second? 25 seconds?

What is the gearing in the axle?

I have a similar setup as you (but I have 4.10 gearing and 31" tires), but I would more describe my acceleration as average for a Ranger.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
From what you describe, I can rap out my 2.3 5spd and make it scream in 4th gear coming up a ramp and be up to speed to merge..... better than you can.

I'd suggest an extreme programmer to give that sucker some better shift points. and if that doesn't help.......gears aren't that expensive, or try gears first then get a programmer that will correct your speedo as well.

Frank

masterbrenden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2010
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
3.0l v6/4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
i have 98 ranger 3.0l 196,000 miles. 265/75/16's(about a 33) 4.10s and an auto and other than the trans going out. i would say my take off is very good considering tire size, if try to power brake, i can break them loose most times, about 7 out of 10 times there spining

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have 98 ranger 3.0l 196,000 miles. 265/75/16's(about a 33) 4.10s and an auto and other than the trans going out. i would say my take off is very good considering tire size, if try to power brake, i can break them loose most times, about 7 out of 10 times there spining
Well a 265/75/16 is about a 31 maybe a tiny bit over... If your trans is giving you problems then its definately your trans.

masterbrenden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2010
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
3.0l v6/4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
i thought they were bigger someone said they were to me
it is time for the trans it has been though hell and back
i have broken the tranny cooler going down the road
striped the pump gear and it was still going

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Fix your throttle cable before you do any of the other stuff mentioned in this thread. It takes a zip tie or two or four and about 60 seconds of your time.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i thought they were bigger someone said they were to me
it is time for the trans it has been though hell and back
i have broken the tranny cooler going down the road
striped the pump gear and it was still going
Well a 265/75/15 is a 30.6 and i think a 16" rim one is like 31.4 or something... So yeah I'm going to say fix your tranny. The zip tie mods nice too. get under your dash lift the pedal out pull the cable out and add zip ties till you can't .

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Fix your throttle cable before you do any of the other stuff mentioned in this thread. It takes a zip tie or two or four and about 60 seconds of your time.
This. Did it on my 4.0 Explorer when it was being a dog, took forever for me to figure out!

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
Could be the flex fuel as well, I know people that have had flex fuel rangers, they all complain about the sluggishness.
Mine is a FFV. It's not fast, but I wouldn't call it sluggish by any stretch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals