• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ive been thinking about this for a while

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could just flip the dashboard to the back of the cab and turn the seats around. The hood is the trunk now. I think I saw a video of some guys in Europe that were driving around like that freaking everyone out.

I don't see the big deal.

Here's a Honda Odyssey in action--your future drivetrain. Imagine taking a good 1,000# or 1,500# off of this.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
flipping the dashboard around doesnt sound very practical...your engine is now in the front again. the whole idea was to make a rear engine RWD :dunno:

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
ill keep that in transaxle in mind when i decide to bolt a triton v10 in my ranger, til then i dont recommend spending 14500 on a tranny. plus thats for a mid engine, not true rwd. a midengine means cutting the cab out and making your ranger a cabover in a sense.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Hate to burst your bubble will but id put my old ladies 3.8L Mopar in the Town and country against that anyday.

later,
Dustin

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hate to burst your bubble will but id put my old ladies 3.8L Mopar in the Town and country against that anyday.

later,
Dustin
Yeah. Time your Town and Country and see if it will run 7.2 seconds 0-60.

You're just mad because I don't like Country Music.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
discourage inbreeding...ban country music...just kidding...lol

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
i might do the mid engine thing. i dont want to spend 20 grand on transfer thingys and such.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Yeah. Time your Town and Country and see if it will run 7.2 seconds 0-60.

You're just mad because I don't like Country Music.
Sorry but i dont think i could stomach driving that thing for more then 7.2 seconds.

Turn off the traction control and it will do the smokyiest FWD burnout you ever did see though.

Im about ready to show her who the man is and sell the frickin thing. I went to move it yesterday to get out and got it buried in the mud in the driveway. So i had to move 3 other vehicles, get the F150, and pull it out of like 2 inches of mud. I was rather pissed, and late for bar nite :p

.....and yes, i think everyone should like country music :headbang:

later,
Dustin

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
thats interesting but its a van...plus its a dodge...thats two major problems right there. whatever worx for you buddy. wrecking crew, the mid engine idea is great for balancing a vehicles power to weight, the driver and engine are centered between the wheels proportionally and when lowered/leveled w/ stiff suspension makes for an awesome driving experience. thats why lambos use this design, it would be cool but i dont really see a way around the transaxle, you could mount the engine to 2wd trans and stub the tranny to the rearend w/ a shorty shaft or maybe even bolt them together using and adapter or if your lucky enuff 4 grade 10 bolts, the length of the assembly versus cab placement may be an issue however. if you get a tape measure and have room for all this that would be cool, but i have a feeling your going to have a fan next to your asscheeks.

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
thats interesting but its a van...plus its a dodge...thats two major problems right there. whatever worx for you buddy. wrecking crew, the mid engine idea is great for balancing a vehicles power to weight, the driver and engine are centered between the wheels proportionally and when lowered/leveled w/ stiff suspension makes for an awesome driving experience. thats why lambos use this design, it would be cool but i dont really see a way around the transaxle, you could mount the engine to 2wd trans and stub the tranny to the rearend w/ a shorty shaft or maybe even bolt them together using and adapter or if your lucky enuff 4 grade 10 bolts, the length of the assembly versus cab placement may be an issue however. if you get a tape measure and have room for all this that would be cool, but i have a feeling your going to have a fan next to your asscheeks.

i need to think on how im gonna set it up now.....

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i would still go with the FWD transaxle idea. no special transmissions/transaxles required. everything is already bolted together and ready to drop into the bed.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i agree w/ wicked for simplicity sake, the mid would be cool to see but very dif to do.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We have a '99 Grand Caravan with the 3.8 in the family. It's a good engine and has no problem scooting that van around. I was suggesting the Honda Oddyssey drivetrain which has much more power--the 3.8 is an old pushrod motor that is very much like the pushrod 4.0 we have. I have an '05 Pilot with the same motor and my wife's parents have an '08 Oddyssey and they will spank the 3.8. The 3.8 has a good yank off the line but it lays down quickly. The Honda 3.5 is a nasty beast and you wouldn't be disappointed.

My brother-in-law has an Acura TL with a 3.2 Honda Vtec. We took it down to Florida this Christmas and that thing is scary fast. From a stop, you absolutely can't steer. It's well over 300hp from only 3.2 liters and I think it could run 13s and 5 second 0-60s--and has leather seats, individual climate control. It has a ratchet shifter like an old B&M Quicksilver except intead of pulling it up into ratchet mode, you push it over. If you are going 60 and want to pass someone, you are going 100 before you can blink. The 3.5 Honda is the same motor essentially--but larger. You would love it in a 3,000# Ranger.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ya, but there are plenty of drivetrains that could be used that arent...you know...hondas.

what about the supercharged 3.8 from a buick? "only" 240 horsepower, but a torquey bastard at 280ft-lbs at only 3600 rpm.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals