• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Josh40601's Build Thread. (D-ranged)

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i dunno about that brother. The front is going to be insane, but the rear is pretty lame. I need new shocks and shackles.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
3/1- Went to the shop, nothing else had been done :( I did take some pictures of all the new stuff i bought. Hopefully this week a lot of stuff will get done, but I have my doubts that it will. All the owner said was, "I got all the measurements, and I am waiting on the order from Ballistic" So, I will go back out this weekend and snap some photos.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Here is the Detriot for the rear

The Yukon R&P for the front

The new 4:10 and up 3rd member. New bearings, and innards, so this thing is ready for the R&P and to be mounted

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well i know it has been a bit of time since i have updated this, but not much has happened. Was waiting on my orders from Ballistic to get here, and they did today. The arms are being built first thing tomorrow, and i am going out there later on tomorrow evening to snag some pics of what all has happened. My camera FINALLY got here, so the pics won't look as sh1tty anymore. I also ordered the belltech 6400 shackles to give me a little more flex and a little more room for those 35's to cycle. Decided to wait on shocks until i can fully cycle the axle, cut the body, then measure to see what i need. Thinking about relocating the shock mounts directly above the axle though. Whatta you guys think? Good idea or bad?

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
got the pictures of my Ballistic Fabrication parts. A big thanks goes out to Dave for helping me out with the order. I got the D44 cover, the Ballistic 3.0 joints and the adjustable tracbar mount.

Here is the front axle set under the truck. This was taken a little too soon, as we set the ride height about 20 minutes later. It will be about 2" lower. The rear will be setup somewhat like a prerunner, with the rear shackle flipped and we are going with Bilstein 18" 2.0 smooth body shocks for the rear. I will have to have the springs re-arched because flipping the shackle is going to lower the truck, but the travel this thing will have will be stupid. I will be able to drive fast to the rocks, unlike most of the Jeeps and Yota's out there :p

91BiggieGreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
that truck is sick man...must be nice life without flare laws im assuming, id be in front of the blue lights in no time wit that truck here in wv

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
we have flare laws in Cali too, i just havent installed them yet. The truck hasn't been driven on the street and the Bushwacker cutouts cover about 80% of the tires

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Went out to the shop this weekend and got a good amount of work completed. The top tubes for the arms are mocked up, and almost ready to be welded on for good, but we needed to square the front end before we could go any further. Looks like i will be getting to get my hands dirty on this stuff too! Keith is letting me work right beside him throughout the whole conversion, and a lot of the stuff we do as a team. I removed the old shocks off the rear and re-welded the shock mounts on. I moved them higher up on the axle to keep from being smashed by the rocks. The Detroit locker is now set in the 3rd member and ready to go back in, and the Ballistic Joints are tacked up to the frame.

The mount and Ballistic joint all tacked up

Here is a look at one of the top tubes. Notice the bend angles. Plenty of room to turn the tires, plenty of room for upward and downward travel. Notice that the rockslider is in the way. They are being cut off and remade later.

The locker ready to go back in.

Here is D sitting on the ground. The front have jackstands, but the this is about as close to ride height as we can get right now.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that truck is sick man...must be nice life without flare laws im assuming, id be in front of the blue lights in no time wit that truck here in wv

dont need any stinkin fenders here in arkansas :thefinger:

great build, very well done :icon_thumby:

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks brother! I don't really like the looks of the truck without flares. Since i am going to be driving this truck A LOT, I want to keep it as road friendly as possible.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks brother! I don't really like the looks of the truck without flares. Since i am going to be driving this truck A LOT, I want to keep it as road friendly as possible.
check out joels build "copycat". he made fiberglass fenders that look amazing.

you could do that for the front.

for the back, some of the "mini-truckers" have grafted stepside bedsides onto the fleetside to make a "dually" type fender for running wide tires in the rear.

or just make a matching rear fender extension and rivet it to the bedsides :icon_thumby:

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I seen his, and they look great, only problem is that I would worry about destroying them. I am going with the Bushwacker cutouts. They bend and flex so hopefully they will hold up

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
if you wanna go waaaayyyy over the top try some f-16 landing gear rod ends haha

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals