• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Junk Yard Hunt For 16's or 15's

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1998 Auto. Ranger XLT 71k miles

Am gonna sell this truck in about a year. To keep a tight budget am planning a trip to the junk yard to get some tires/wheels.

Am in need of 4 tires/wheels. I would like to upsize from the current 225/70R15 to 16's but also open to same 15's for a good set.

15's Steelies would be fine to as I can swap those into current 15's stock rims.

Besides explorers what other makes/models are a match I can look out for?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Mountaineers, Areostars, Mazda B-series, Navajos, all should have the same spacing, Mustang, Edge SUV, and some other rims fit but have different back spacing

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I think any of the panther cars are the same spacing (crown vics and the like)

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Facebook marketplace way better than Craigslist

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Occasionally “letgo” has had wheels. I’ve thought about some white spoke wheels to go with my vintage look, new ones are nearly 70$ a rim- for a steel white spoke rim. Crazy! I remember them being 30$ per rim in the late 80’s new.

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Am open to a great deal for me FB, LetGo, JunkYarda has potential to score a deal I can't say no to. Alums. are 40bux each and wednesdays are buy 1, half off 1, total 120 bux, while Tuesday's are 15 bux for each Steelie.
Am driven by how much I can get away with on a good set of 4. Cheapest I have seen on CL is 250 and and up to 6...900 bux.
With your added suggestions this ranger will have a "newer" set of shoes in no time.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
I think any of the panther cars are the same spacing (crown vics and the like)
Same bolt pattern, same backspacing until 2002. In 2003 Ford redesigned the frame and switched to a more modern front wheel drive backspacing, so any '03+ rims are going to look excessively "tucked" and you might run into clearance issues. Anything pre-02 should be fine.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Facebook Marketplace... Here in the Chicago area there was a pregnant grill went onto that site for some cheap baby stuff. She went to someones house... they killed her... took the unborn baby from her body... put the cut up mother in the trash. The baby was about to die but the killers went to the hospital said she gave birth at home and to please help the child. Last I heard the child is on life support and through the mothers digital footprint... and the hospital staff... three people are in custody and hopefully rot in prison. True story...

Just not so sure how much better it is... Facebook

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Will newer explorers say after 2010 to current, with 16's fit?
And would something adverse happen with 17's from some of these cars, say to tranny ... differential ratio being thrown off balance or being short-lived? Am asking ahead of time because I have seen some of those sizes. I don't mind a Speedo that's out of cue a little bit if that's all there would be with 17's.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Facebook Marketplace... Here in the Chicago area there was a pregnant grill went onto that site for some cheap baby stuff. She went to someones house... they killed her... took the unborn baby from her body... put the cut up mother in the trash. The baby was about to die but the killers went to the hospital said she gave birth at home and to please help the child. Last I heard the child is on life support and through the mothers digital footprint... and the hospital staff... three people are in custody and hopefully rot in prison. True story...

Just not so sure how much better it is... Facebook
Not much different than the classifieds of old.

I like to meet in public places during daylight. I bought a Coleman lantern on FB marketplace awhile ago, guy was more than happy to meet me in front of a huge Cenex gas station (full of people and cameras) at 3pm. Anything went sideways there would be tons of witnesses and it would be recorded. Elderly Vietnam vet (according to his plate and hat) was on time with no funny business.

If they want to meet you behind a dumpster in the bad part of town... either push for somewhere else or end negotiations.

Will newer explorers say after 2010 to current, with 16's fit?
And would something adverse happen with 17's from some of these cars, say to tranny ... differential ratio being thrown off balance or being short-lived? Am asking ahead of time because I have seen some of those sizes. I don't mind a Speedo that's out of cue a little bit if that's all there would be with 17's.
'11+ may have issue with lockout hub/hub cap fit. Offset will be way too tucked and may cause adverse wheel bearing wear.

As long as the overall diameter is the same your powertrain won't know anything is different by running larger diameter rims... aside from them being lighter.

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A quick junkyard run didn't net what I know I am looking for-a set of 4 good shoes. I found these in next to new condition. The rims though. I just don't know about the look. What do you guys think they will look on a truck? Anyone has a pic of a truck with these types of rims on it?
I know I can buy rims-50+ each and swap these tires into them, but only if I have, have, have to.

Most importantly, will the offset fit, will these fit right without causing any issues to gear/ball joints etc?
This is a 2007 Grand Marquis, 16" Rims

Or this?

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
i put 97 lincoln town car wheels on my 2001 truck. looks pretty decent.

i put the stock sized Ranger tires on the Lincoln 15" rims. No spacers or anything, just threw them on and thats it.

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I came across this one....looks good.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
On my Gen 1 V-8 Ranger I used 15 inch factory Crown Vic turbine wheels and center caps from about the same era... I color matched them to the truck and polished the ribs. Wish I had pictures... at the time... it looked pretty good... and I had a blast with it.

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
These are from my cousin's buddy's buddy explorer - 235/65R18 - that I am testing, not sure of the year but I just know it is a very new explorer.

Right off the bat what I would like to know is what are the risks associated with size 18's on a 1998 2.5 ranger? That is risks to transmission, differential, gear ratio, wheel steering system...or anything else? I am new to ranger, from camry so please educate me here.

Secondly, since I have been running them today this is what I have observed
A) - that steering lock to lock they rub top ball joint, and is it wishbone?? and the lower tie rod connecting rod???
B) - when I am driving and break hard the front wheels are whistling. This didn't happen with the previous 15's. What is this an indication of?
Other than that all four fit perfectly in the wheel well.

Lastly if there are no risks to damaging of the car and I keep them how would I make them work? Would adding spacers help with the rubbing? Must the truck be lifted? I would prefer not to get into lifting kits and all that at the moment due to budget constraints, not until the end of the year.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals