• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Keyless key pad code

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I guarantee you will not be disappointed with the OBDLlink adapters. They also have a USB adapter that's reasonably priced. Scantool.net is the website, but they're also available on Amazon.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
With the VIN can someone with access to Ford's system retrieve the keypad code?
No. OASIS does not contain this information, neither does HVBOM.

Sandman's idea is the best one I know.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
They seem to always hide the code somewhere inside the vehicle. I remember I bought an explorer and the PO didn't know the code so I googled it and low and behold the code is in the compartment in the back where you fill the washer fluid or something along those lines. Shine a flashlight back there and there it was. Worked like a charm. That is one feature I do miss and like. It's nice to go to a gas station and lock it while it is running.
You *do* know that you *can* lock your vehicle while it's running, right? You'll need the second key (you need it in order to get in anyway). On my '04 Focus, the power lock button worked, but wouldn't lock the drivers' door if the key was in the ignition. So, I started the car, locked the other three doors with the power lock button on the drivers' door, then used the manual lock button on the door to lock it, or used the key in the outside lock. Done. Then, just use the key to unlock the drivers' door.

WARNING: If you're going to do that, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SECOND KEY ON YOUR PERSON!!!! My ex locked her running car with the other set of keys in the car 45 miles from home. She had to wait for a tow truck.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
You *do* know that you *can* lock your vehicle while it's running, right? You'll need the second key (you need it in order to get in anyway). On my '04 Focus, the power lock button worked, but wouldn't lock the drivers' door if the key was in the ignition. So, I started the car, locked the other three doors with the power lock button on the drivers' door, then used the manual lock button on the door to lock it, or used the key in the outside lock. Done. Then, just use the key to unlock the drivers' door.

WARNING: If you're going to do that, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SECOND KEY ON YOUR PERSON!!!! My ex locked her running car with the other set of keys in the car 45 miles from home. She had to wait for a tow truck.
Always lock the door from the outside with the key... You’re guaranteed to have the key in your hand and you know the lock cylinder works.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Not that it matters but I don't lock my driver's door or use E-brake in the winter :)

And use an Organic de-icer on frozen lock, Dirtman knows what that is, as do most GUYS
Ron... that might just work in Canada... but I live in Chicago. The organic deicer would probably get me on the sexual offenders list and leaving the door unlocked... I would probably have someone moved into the vehicle overnight and take me 90 days to have them evicted.

Update... By the end of the day... the key cylinder actually started to function. I assume it just took awhile for the lock ease to set in and free the cylinder. I'm not sure it was ever used... the key FOB has always the first choice for entering the vehicle.

@G8orFord ... Thanks for sharing the info. I'm leaning towards getting the android version for my tablet. The damn thing just collects dust since we upgraded the wifes laptop and I was gifted her hand me down. I'm not opposed to using the new to me laptop... and I will probably download the forscan onto it also... but the tablet idea is appealing to me and would be simpler to use then taking the laptop to the car everytime.

@ford4wd08 … Thanks for the link. I will have a closer look at those once I have the tool/software in place.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just and FYI: While you "may" be able to pull the code with the PC version, I'm 99% sure you will not be able to pull it with the Android version. Like I said, the mobile apps are scaled down quite a bit, but still very nice to have for pulling/clearing codes and basic monitoring of the various systems.

As an example: I was able to narrow down wy my A/C suddenly quit working by monitoring the PIDs for the A/C clutch and pressure switch. According to Forscan, everything was working. So I popped the hood and plugged the compressor back in and Forscan was right. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: LOL, not sure why it came unplugged, unless I just didn't get it locked in when I connected after the rebuild, but there it was hanging down.

OK, I really didn't need Forscan for that, but I had it and it took literally 5 seconds to check it since I already had the adapter plugged in to monitor other items on the newish engine and trans.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I was able to get the key pad code off the module... so I'm ahead of that issue.

The first order of business will be adding a new key and FOB... can that be done with the tablet version?

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
I was able to get the key pad code off the module... so I'm ahead of that issue.

The first order of business will be adding a new key and FOB... can that be done with the tablet version?
Not sure, but probably not. There are some service functions available. I don't have my adapter with me today or I'd check it on my 2017 to see if the function is there.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
No worries... If I have to use the PC... so be it.

The tablet will just become my new "limited" scan tool.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.

The fob can be done without any kind of scanner, at least for the Ranger. I' sure the Edge is similar.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The fob can be done without any kind of scanner, at least for the Ranger. I' sure the Edge is similar.
I'm sure it is too... procedure was probably in the owners manual that my kid thought was unnecessary lol

The Ignition key has the FOB on it... so I have to program a key any way... doing the FOB too just allows me to play with the new toy while I'm at it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You should be able to download the Owners Manual from the Ford website in the owner’s section.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are different types of Keyless/Fob systems now

We had Keyless Entry systems for years and these were fairly easy to add new Fobs to

But we now have Keyless Ignition systems, Fob needs to be in the vehicle to use the START Button
These would be harder to add a new Fob to

I think the 2011 Edge uses the Keyless ignition BUT.............I think there is a key slot under the center armrest that can be used if Fob doesn't work
Same as most vehicles still have key slot in driver's door, sometimes hidden, so you can get into the vehicle if battery is dead or Fob is

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
All you have to do to program the key fob is cycle the key on-off 8 times very fast ending in the run position. The door locks will cycle to confirm you are in program mode. Then just hit the lock button on all your fobs you want to program. Turn the ignition off and test the fobs.

Doors have to be shut and locked before you start, dont hit the brake pedal at any point.

No scanner or forscan needed.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
All you have to do to program the key fob is cycle the key on-off 8 times very fast ending in the run position. The door locks will cycle to confirm you are in program mode. Then just hit the lock button on all your fobs you want to program. Turn the ignition off and test the fobs.

Doors have to be shut and locked before you start, dont hit the brake pedal at any point.

No scanner or forscan needed.
This is assuming you have a Ignition Key switch, which newer vehicles do not, Keyless Ignitions

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals