• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Kirbys 1991 Ranger Build Up and Solid Axle Swap

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here are some more pictures of the shocks mounted and traveling. The limiting straps look too long in these pictures- the only time they actually get utilized is when both wheels are drooped out at the same time- like when catching some air.

shock flex 1.jpg
shock flex 2.jpg
shock flex 3.jpg
shock flex 4.jpg

The compressed shock uses almost all of its compression travel. With a little more weight or speed it would completely use it. When I set it up, it didn't have the tent or the bad cage on- so I thought I had plenty of compression. once the weight was added it is getting pretty close to running out. I have considered doing something to bring the rear up a little because it does sag with the bed cage and the tent on- that would give me back some more compression. So far it is working well though. Also- the tire does not contact the shock on the top when articulated- it gets close.

shock flex 5.jpg

I also dig how it looks in the wheel wells at ride height

Wheel well.jpg

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And...

The behemoth strongbox arrived a few weeks ago! I am stoked to start working on it. I hope to have some time to gather junk yard parts in a couple weeks.

Doubler 1.jpg
Doubler 2.jpg

Its way bigger in person than it looks like in pictures!

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
how long did it take you to get the strong box? Going back through your thread it looked like the shifters came in a month or so, did it really take 6 months to get the strong box from ordering it in feb?

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I haven’t been updating the thread well. It didn’t take 6 months- it took almost exactly what behemoth quoted me- which was 6-8 weeks if I remember correctly. They also updated me with texts about progress on the box- what stage of assembly it was in. Work has been busy for me and I got it in the mail and set it on the shelf until I have had time to update and hopefully I can assemble soon.

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok- I finally got some time to work on the doubler. I went to the pull and pay in the heat and pulled the donor parts.

I took parts from 2 2001 exploder sports.

First off, took the front off of a case- luckily it was already pulled.
Doubler parts 3.jpg

Then I used my trusty sawzall to hack off the sides of the case- carefully making sure not to cut into the ring gear.

Then I wacked the case apart to get out the ring gear.

Doubler parts 1.jpg

Doubler parts 2.jpg

Next I compressed the little clip to get out the planetary gears.

Lastly, because my Tcase is a 1991- I know my internals are likely going to be 4 gear. I definitely wanted a 6 gear in both cases, so I grabbed another set of planetary gears out of another 2001 Exploder sport.

Doubler parts 4.jpg

The time bomb SOHC worked in my favor- glad there was 2 trucks there I could grab parts off of and glad they both already had the cases out.

With this pile of parts, I can get the doubler assembled without pulling out my current transfer case and putting my truck out of commission while I put it together. I didn't feel bad about tearing apart 2 transfer cases either- the yard charged me $30 a piece for the planetary gears! WOAH. I was expecting $10.

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Next I started the assembly process:

I followed the instructions here:

They were spot on with the exception of the clip that holds the bearing in the front section- it was redesigned to mimic the factory design. Noted below.

Here are the parts on the table ready to go: (the shifting section was still in the box)
Strongbox Assemble 14.jpg

First, I got the front portion ready by applying some tape to the face to hopefully keep that purdy anodizing in good shape. Unfortunately, I did garf it up a little when it was all done. Luckily it will be hidden inside the transmission adapter.

Strongbox Assemble 13.jpg

Next I cleaned up the ring gear (sun gear I think) and pressed it into the front section- carefully putting the tapered section in first.
Strongbox Assemble 10.jpg

Strongbox Assemble 11.jpg

It is supposed to fit just above flush.

Next, I pressed the shaft out of the planetaries. This required removing a circlip before pressing them apart. The clip was a royal pain. Those clips took the longest part of assembly. I need a better set of pliers I guess.

Strongbox Assemble 12.jpg

The next step includes putting the original bearing that was pressed on the shaft on top of the planetary gear set into the case. The video instructions are not accurate on this step- behemoth has changed designs to use the original clip and retention setup that is the same as factory. This took a lot of head scratching and a call to behemoth for me to sort out.

Here is the channel the clip lives in:

Strongbox Assemble 9.jpg

And here is a picture with that clip in place. I got the clip from one of the donor cases- the one off my case would have been fine too.

Strongbox Assemble 8.jpg

Once that clip is in place, you slide in the original bearing. I priced new ones of these, and I could only find a japanese bearing and it was $60 so I decided the original bearing out of my donor would be fine. Then, as it was- but now with a new anodized case in the mix- you press the shaft back into the gear set and the bearing. There is also a thrust washer that goes in between the bearing and planetaries. Lastly, the stubborn little clip goes into place.

Strongbox Assemble 7.jpg

And then a seal goes in. I am going to wait on that.

Next step is the shift section. You slide the collared shift gear into the shift fork and set aside. I like the quality on this whole section of the case. Super nice.

Strongbox Assemble 6.jpg

Also- note the o-ring seal on this section. IT would have been acceptable to just use RTV, but I am impressed behemoth put in a seal. I hate RTV.

Strongbox Assemble 5.jpg
Strongbox Assemble 4.jpg

The last section is the favorite because it involved the Behemoth spud shaft. Beef.

Strongbox Assemble 3.jpg

It involves assembling the spud shaft over the rear section of the case with the vent, a new bearing and a some bushings. Its really similar to the front install, but with the custom shaft.

Finally, we have a complete doubler, ready to be bolted to the front of my existing transfer case and then figuring out some shifters.

Strongbox Assemble 2.jpg

Of course it will be taken apart to bolt the pieces to the case and glue them.

There are 4 oil passage holes that will allow the cases to share oil. as you clock the center shifting case, the holes line up with 4 holes, or 3 or 2. I have 4 holes aligned here and the shifter handle near the factory location. I dont know if this will be the final resting place, but its a good place to start mockup. You can also see the garf I made in the front case. Ugh.

Strongbox Assemble 1.jpg

I might get some time to start messing with it in the next week or two. However, I have a camping trip this weekend- so I probably won't want my truck to be down. I might just add some tube to the bumpers this week and mess with the doubler next week or so.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals