• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leak between transmission and transfer case adapter

Riley O'Connell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2001 ford ranger 4wd xlt with the 4.0 and auto trans. There is a leak that appears to be coming from between the transmission and the transfer case adapter. I was wondering if this tc adaptor case is supposed to be dry or if its supposed to have oil in it. I believe this should tell me if i just have to replace a gasket that is supposed to go inbetween the two or if there is some seal I need to replace in the transmission. It would also be nice to get an idea of how difficult it is to fix this Thanks for any help!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
it's dry in there.
the leak could be either the rear transmission seal or the front transfer case seal.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
it's dry in there.
the leak could be either the rear transmission seal or the front transfer case seal.
The auto trans has a rear seal? The old A4LDs did not, I guess I haven’t worked on a newer auto but I thought that was a wet area on all of them and the gasket between the trans and t-case kept fluid in.

Most of the manuals have a dry output housing though.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
My transfer case adaptor actually has a drain hole in it to let the oil out if there is a leak in the rear transmission seal or the front transfer case seal. I do have a manual transmission, but I can't imagine an automatic would be wet in the adaptor.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I will confirm the trans to transfer case adapter/housing should be dry and it does have a weep hole to tell owner that a seal is failing

Both the transmission(manual or auto) and transfer case have Vents to prevent seals from leaking, i.e. no pressure build up in housings

An automatic does run with higher fluid pressures in passages, 80-300psi, so its rear seal is more likely to leak fluid into the adapter/housing
But transfer case does have an internal circulation pump, not high pressure but if it's front seal wears out it can leak fluid into adapter/housing as well

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've been under the impression that auto transmissions don't have a output shaft seal like manuals do and I thought that was fairly universal for all brands... I know there's a drain in that area on the T case but silicone seals it up fine...

Riley O'Connell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I will confirm the trans to transfer case adapter/housing should be dry and it does have a weep hole to tell owner that a seal is failing

Both the transmission(manual or auto) and transfer case have Vents to prevent seals from leaking, i.e. no pressure build up in housings

An automatic does run with higher fluid pressures in passages, 80-300psi, so its rear seal is more likely to leak fluid into the adapter/housing
But transfer case does have an internal circulation pump, not high pressure but if it's front seal wears out it can leak fluid into adapter/housing as well
The transmission and transfer case don't share fluid correct? Also, I don't need to put a gasket or any gasket maker in between the tc adaptor and transmission then I assume? Thanks!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
The transmission and transfer case don't share fluid correct? Also, I don't need to put a gasket or any gasket maker in between the tc adaptor and transmission then I assume? Thanks!
for the purpose of preventing corrosion and future disassembly put some never seize or heavy grease on the mating surfaces.
it wouldn't hurt to apply a small amount of grease to the splines.

Riley O'Connell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I took the extension housing off and everything else today, it seems to me that it is supposed to be wet. There was a gasket between the transfer case and extension housing, and what looks like a piece of a gasket in-between the extension housing and transmission. For some context, the extension housing was replaced by someone before I got the truck. It looks like whoever did that job did not even put a gasket back in place of the old one. Wouldn't surprise me seeing as how many loose bolts and shady work I've found on the truck so far. I attached some pictures of the gaskets it looks like I need to buy, and I'll post some more about what the extension housing and output shaft looks like. Let me know if all this info seems to track correctly or if I am missing something, Thanks!

Attachments

Riley O'Connell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Transfer case side of extension and output shaft. Don't see a shaft seal to replace

Attachments

Riley O'Connell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Transmission side of housing with the small piece of gasket that was left

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals