• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaking/Busted Hydraulic Clutch Line

Swift_20B

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I'm trying to repair the line between the master cylinder and the slave cylinder on a Ranger I'm about to fully obtain. It is the 5 Speed (Not sure on code). It is broke/leaking where the heat shield is. Research has yielded very little results. My friend who is passing it on to me thinks a splice with compression fittings should work to at least get the clutch working to make sure the clutch disk is in good health.

Any info onto how or where I can obtain a replacement or if a splice will suffice?
Also I cannot tell or find info on if a disconnect tool can work for disconnecting the line.

Thanks.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just wrap it tight with some good electric tape, that should fix it till you start to go ;)
You either need a new line or pull one from a wrecking yard

the tool is fairly simple, simply a stamped piece of metal(I've seen plastic too) with a U shape at the end. It pushes the release plunger in to release the line

Those lines are not easy to wriggle through there between the frame and fender well, but they're very tough, just don't bend anything that isn't meant to bend

While you have that line out, also pull your master cylinder(even tho it means pulling the brake booster) and put them together outside the truck. Then hang the fluid reservoir up high and let the line hang low, and fill the reservoir untill all bubbles have stopped rising(wiggle everything around until you're sure no bubbles remain inside) Then install it all as a complete unit. Plug it back into the slave cylinder and then bleed the sllave with gravity( do not let the reservoir go dry during this step), then close the slave bleed off and you should be good to go

Last edited:

Swift_20B

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Thankyou Josh B. I'll consider it tomorrow when I dig into her. If everything goes well and the clutch disc is good. I'll try to attempt to replace the whole line. You wouldn't know if the tool is obtainable at any store, or do I have to fabricate one? Also, is there a part number for the line?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I edited that a couple times Swift, be sure you've seen the entire post.
No idea on part numbers but the parts store should have it, or a good pick-n-pull place most likely tell you which ones they have that could match.

I've always got the tool free with a part (anywhere from slave cylinder to a clutch) but they should be fairly cheap

I'd expect the line should work no matter the transmission or engine, not positive but think they all start and end at the same place

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals