• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

led shop lighting ?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am trying to go off grid. I have an old oilfield trailer and a "converted to storage" school-bus that I'm wanting to use as a shop. I have a generator but I want to use solar. I picked up 1/2 dozen 7-watt solar panels and have a 12V 1400 Amp-hour battery to use to power some lights. I'm thinking of getting strip led lights and wiring direct to the battery with a switch in one leg. I found this on ebay;
5M 16ft 5630 SMD Waterproof 300 LEDs Flexible Light LED Sticky Strip 12V SN
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-16ft-5630-SMD-Waterproof-300-LEDs-Flexible-Light-LED-Sticky-Strip-12V-SN/111460012083?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=25805&meid=d9245f03bbea45039bd487cb29219d58&pid=100011&prg=10778&rk=7&rkt=10&sd=181553483820

and they seem to go for about $10.00. Will 3 or 4 of these provide enough light to stumble around without bonking my head too much?
Thanks,

Richard

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty sure it will. I was thinking of trying harbor freight's 60 led solar powered security light. It has a self contained battery backup. I was going to get a few of them and wire them through a switch...

SVT

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I converted two florescent fixtures to LED. It's a snap. Remove the ballast and wiring for the ballast. Wire one end of the fixture to be Hot and the other end to be Neutral (even though there are two wires at each end of the fixture, only one wire is needed. Be sure to cap the unused wires with a wire nut or electrical tape or both). They are clearly brighter than the florescent bulbs (I have one LED fixture and florescent fixture in the garage - I'm waiting for the tubes or ballast to go to convert it).

The fixture over my work bench, in the basement, only uses one LED. Again, way brighter than florescent.

The killer is the cost of the bulbs, ~$50/each (or, at least they were when I bought them).

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I converted two florescent fixtures to LED. It's a snap. Remove the ballast and wiring for the ballast. Wire one end of the fixture to be Hot and the other end to be Neutral (even though there are two wires at each end of the fixture, only one wire is needed. Be sure to cap the unused wires with a wire nut or electrical tape or both). They are clearly brighter than the florescent bulbs (I have one LED fixture and florescent fixture in the garage - I'm waiting for the tubes or ballast to go to convert it).

The fixture over my work bench, in the basement, only uses one LED. Again, way brighter than florescent.

The killer is the cost of the bulbs, ~$50/each (or, at least they were when I bought them).
That sounds like it would be 120 Volt. I'm looking for 12 Volt. But if you have a link or more specific info that would be great.
Thanks,

Richard

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
alwaysFlOoReD said:
That sounds like it would be 120 Volt. I'm looking for 12 Volt. But if you have a link or more specific info that would be great.
Thanks,

Richard
You're right, those are 120VAC, sorry.

How about something like this:

You can find that and more like it @ Super Brite LEDs: LINK

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Harbor freight has motion activated LED flood lights with a small rechargeable battery and a solar panel. They come in a kit together for like $30. I've thought about putting one in the shed (the panel is remote-mountable) might be something worth looking into

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty sure it will. I was thinking of trying harbor freight's 60 led solar powered security light. It has a self contained battery backup. I was going to get a few of them and wire them through a switch...

SVT
Harbor freight has motion activated LED flood lights with a small rechargeable battery and a solar panel. They come in a kit together for like $30. I've thought about putting one in the shed (the panel is remote-mountable) might be something worth looking into
This is the same one i was talking about. There's a 60 led and i think a 36 led. The 36 led i looked at and tested and didnt really seem that bright, but the battery could have been weak too...

SVT

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This is the same one i was talking about. There's a 60 led and i think a 36 led. The 36 led i looked at and tested and didnt really seem that bright, but the battery could have been weak too...

SVT
Lol that's what I get for skimming the thread while I'm at work. I'll have to remember that too, I'll probably spring for the 60 led. Just lookin for enough light to stumble around in the shed if I've gotta grab something after dark...

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
We put the 12vdc strips under the gunnels in our boats, It is plenty of light.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Those harbor freight motion lights work really well. I haven't tried the newest one but I have the $30 one (not the cheaper of the two) and it works everyday in my yard. Have had it for a few years now with no real issues. Every once in a while the lights are dim if it has been cloudy or raining for a few days. Pretty low maintenance too. I actually bought a second one for the other part of my yard. Want to get the new one they have now. I think HF has a solar shed light that has a pull string to turn it on. That would be good for you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals