• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Life time warrenty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do parts stores count on you keeping a vehicle for life?:D
I just got a second starter on my life time warrenty.:headbang:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I have friends that still have cars they bought new over 30-45 years ago. Still running and in great shape. My 99 Ranger was bought new by me in July 99 and I have never replaced anything except what I took off for the lift kit, wheels and the new shocks for the lift. I put on new plug wires and plugs about three years ago...only because I got them free. Free is the best way to get stuff...lol. I still have the original starter on it and I am on my third battery. I bought it three months ago. The one I replaced was starting to get a bit weak and it still worked but I thought...'Ah, get one'!!!!!

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I got NAPA life time warranty on my Belden spark plug cables...

One thing I've notice is that the receipts are printed on very thin paper, AND the ink isn't all that great...

The problem is a year later you can BARELY read the dang thing, the ink is so faded out, and you better have that receipt for the warranty!

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does it have to be the original receipt? Could you photocopy your receipt and then print it off?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Do parts stores count on you keeping a vehicle for life?:D
I just got a second starter on my life time warrenty.:headbang:
What they like to do is warranty it a couple times.. then refund you and refuse to sell you another one

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
How about the lifetime warranty from a company that goes under after you buy a part? :icon_confused:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

One thing I've notice is that the receipts are printed on very thin paper, AND the ink isn't all that great...

The problem is a year later you can BARELY read the dang thing, the ink is so faded out, and you better have that receipt for the warranty!
That is exactly where I had the receipt from.
I keep almost all my receipts in my glove box in the owner manula for the truck.It wasn'rt in the best shape,but they honored it with no issues.
I still have the original window sticker from the truck.The owner before me saved it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)

Its not just thin paper, due to this country deciding everything needs to be overly electronic, the receipt printers are now thermal printers. So after a while of being in the heat, cold, and repeat cycles you can no longer read the receipts. So there's really no point in keeping them anymore as in a few months time you won't be able to read them anyhow.

The whole lifetime warranty thing isn't all that great, they give you those receipts that act like they were printed with disappearing ink for a reason, no receipt no warranty. I don't bother paying extra for lifetime warranty crap. Oftentimes if the product is going to fail it will fail soon after purchase not years down the road from defects of the product. Product defects show up relatively soon in a part's life not years down the road, so they think they got your money when you go paying extra for that "lifetime warranty". If you sell the vehicle that warranty ends as well, receipt or not, the new owner didn't buy the product, so they have to buy it again anyways.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Napa doesn't use the thermal ink printers anymore. Maybe some stores still do, but the on eI work at and the other local stores switched to regular ink. The receipts are printed on a regular laser printer, the same one you might have at your office.

The store takes all defective/warranty items and sends it back to the warehouse/manufacturer. The warehouse/manufacturer makes the decision to refund the money and will reimburse the store for the cost of the part. So if you try to return a part, the store shouldn't really care that you're returning it as long as they know they can get the money back from the manufacturer. If you try to return something and the store knows it will have a hard time getting the money back, they may try to refuse to take it back.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Yep.....I REALLY think that they plan on you selling your vehicle before it gets too old......

My '89 Ranger has a Lifetime Warranty thru Auto Zone :icon_rofl: ....................

They keep everything on their computer system/I save my receipts in an envelope......

Even though their parts aren't the highest quality-they last about as long as anyone elses...and since they're "free"...I don't mind replacing them

I'm on my 3rd set of free brake pads/shoes & 2nd free alternator & 2nd free water pump :yahoo:

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Haha, you know you work on your 20+ year old truck too often when it has a full auto parts store lifetime warranty LOL.

My current Solenoid has a lifetime warranty, maybe that's why it is still working after going through 4 of their $6 ones LOL.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I do the warranty thing on some parts... on others, they are so cheaply made I get tired of replacing them, free or not.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I get the AZ stuff, Duralast, and yes they offer because they know most do not keep vehicles long enough to worry about. I have had a couple of clutches from autozone no question asked, never really worry about anything else as it has lasted as well as OEM stuff. Brakes and wires I just buy the lifetime stuff and generally forget about them and just buy new again if needed. Too much hassle trying to remember if its az or orielly.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Napa doesn't use the thermal ink printers anymore. Maybe some stores still do, but the on eI work at and the other local stores switched to regular ink. The receipts are printed on a regular laser printer, the same one you might have at your office.

The store takes all defective/warranty items and sends it back to the warehouse/manufacturer. The warehouse/manufacturer makes the decision to refund the money and will reimburse the store for the cost of the part. So if you try to return a part, the store shouldn't really care that you're returning it as long as they know they can get the money back from the manufacturer. If you try to return something and the store knows it will have a hard time getting the money back, they may try to refuse to take it back.
Autozone uses the stupid thermal paper and thermal printers, so after a while you can't read the receipts. According to them though the purchase and warranty info stays in their computer system so you can just go in and give your phone number and they can pull it up.

I like the old style paper and impact printer setups much better LOL.

Anyhow, if my local parts stores offer lifetime warranty parts that's what I will buy, just seems that those parts tend to last longer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals