• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lift help

BurkeBoy33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xl
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1999 Ford ranger xl 4.0 6 cylinder 2wd that I'm looking to lift but people say it's to light what's y'all's idea or opinions on it?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
People have lifted them in the past. The rear axle is easy. Get a set of axle blocks from a 4X4. The ones before 2008 are taller than the ones from 2008 on. I can supply pictures of those. The front is either going to need a longer spring or a puck. Someone who has done the work will have to advise on what they used and what works best. It all depends on how much lift you want to get. The older rear axle blocks are will give about a 2" lift, the newer ones about an inch.

BurkeBoy33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xl
Transmission
Automatic
I found this which should fit it's only 3 inches which is plenty for what I wanna do with it just wondering if I should do it or not atp

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I found this which should fit it's only 3 inches which is plenty for what I wanna do with it just wondering if I should do it or not atp
Unless you have an Edge with torsion bars in the front, that kit won't work. The shackles will do the job in the back but the torsion bar keys won't do a thing for you if you have coil springs in the front. Plus, if you have an Edge, you should already have a bit of a lift. They basically took a 4X4 and removed the front differential stuff and transfer case.

BurkeBoy33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xl
Transmission
Automatic
Unless you have an Edge with torsion bars in the front, that kit won't work. The shackles will do the job in the back but the torsion bar keys won't do a thing for you if you have coil springs in the front. Plus, if you have an Edge, you should already have a bit of a lift. They basically took a 4X4 and removed the front differential stuff and transfer case.
It's got torsion bar up front

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It's got torsion bar up front
Then that kit will work.

Just an FYI, be prepared to replace the bolts that holds the shackle to the hanger on the frame and the bolt that holds the spring to the shackle. Being that you live in the deep south, you may be fine but up here in the rust belt, we tend to be forced to cut the bolts in order to get them out. Better to have them on hand and not need them than need them and have your truck dead in the water until the bolts come in. Your local auto parts store may or may not have them. So get that sourced out while you are waiting for the kit to come in.

You will also need a tool like one of these to relieve the tension off the torsion bar key for removal and installation.

The first one would be better but you can make the second one work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals