• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lift kit Shock Selection

spaceranger

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe."
Greetings y'all. Been reading up on different forums, our lift kit article, and shock selection article but still feeling confused about shock selection, especially with out ambiguous the options are in online stores.

1986 ext cab 4wd ranger,
Scored some skyjacker 4in rear lift leaf springs. Going to remove the 3" lift block, and was hoping to install 1.5-2" lift leveling coil springs for the front for a leveled look/ slight lift.

I was going to buy the matching skyjacker front/ rear shocks, but after reading apparently the quality is quite low.

Any recommendations for a 1.5-2" lifted 86' 4wd ranger? At the moment thinking Bilsteins.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Bilstein has a chart here that shows compressed and extended lengths, total travel and the mounting types:
https://www.shockwarehouse.com/pages/bilstein-b8-series-measurements

Speaking from experience with Bilstein, I would highly recommend them. I used these two shocks in particular for lifted trucks in the FRONT:

BILSTEIN 33230405 is a really good fit for 1.5-2.5" lifted trucks, they are almost identical in compressed & extended measurements to the STX High Rider front shocks (used these on my Explorer that has a STX lift installed in it.)

BILSTEIN 24185745 is a bit longer and worked great for a truck with a 3" James Duff Explorer lift but was installed on a Ranger with spacers so it was really more like 3.5"-4"

Not sure what to suggest on the rear, the Explorer has Monroe load leveller shocks in the rear and my Ranger has some cheapo Rancho shocks in the rear that I just happened to have on hand that fit somewhat well. If you want Bilsteins in the rear, measure what you have now and compare to that chart above to find one that's about 2-3" longer.

spaceranger

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe."
What a fantastic response. Thank you greatly for this little write-up. Much appreciated!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I bought Skyjacker shocks from the TRS store back in like 2010 and they're still on my '90, I have absolutely zero complaints on them, they all still have pressure in them and ride just fine, I know the quality of everything has gone downhill in the last few years...

I've heard the Bilstein quality has gone down too, my buddy talked me into KYB Monomax for my F350, no complaints there either, somehow I found a chart on those but couldn't find it again when I looked later...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals