• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lift Kit

swiperfoxx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 91, 2.9L Ford Ranger. I found a 4'' lift kit made by "Rough Country". I am thinking about putting 33's on my Ranger after I put on the lift kit. I have some questions.

1. My Ranger has stock 3.73 gears. Do you think my ranger can handle the 33's tires? or do I have to change the gears before I start to take it out on the trail.

2. Is the "Rough Country" Suspension Lift kit a great starter kit?

3. Do suspension Lift kits improve handling over rough terrain? Are lift kits designed to be as comfortable as independent suspensions over rough terrain?

Thanks for the help. . . Patrick:dntknw:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well, to start, Rough country kits use a drop plate for the passenger beam to relocate the stock bracket instead of an entirly new bracket, if you dont limit the uptravel the "pig" (diff) can hit the bracket and punch a hole in it. I personaly run 4.10s with my 31s and its just right, I really dont think youll like 3.73s with 33s and a 2.9. Id suggest at least 4.56 gears but its up to you. As far as off-raod handling, it will be more top heavy of course so be aware of that, it will improve your ground clearence (not under the axles of course becasue thats determined by tire size) and your approach, departure and breakover angle. The springs used in TTB lift kits are about the same stiffness as stock so it will ride similar to stock, also be aware that its advisable you have a long enough drop pitman arm to make the steering linkage level with the beams or you could run into bumpsteer problems.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2.9 and 31s with 3.73s and I kinda wish for 4.10s. You also may need to trim the fenders w/ 33s.

Also didn't Rough Country change their design so the don't punch through the diff anymore? I thought I saw something on here a while back saying that..

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2.9 and 31s with 3.73s and I kinda wish for 4.10s. You also may need to trim the fenders w/ 33s.

Also didn't Rough Country change their design so the don't punch through the diff anymore? I thought I saw something on here a while back saying that..
I heard that too but I have yet to see any proof so I stayed on the safe side by saying that he *may* be taking a chance with rough country, because odds are *if* they changed the design it will be a while before all the old kits are sold and the new ones make it into circulation. As long as you keep and eye on the suspension it will work fine for you.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've also heard that Rough Country changed their design. Their website still shows the drop plate in the picture though.

I'd suggest the Tuff Country kit. It's about the same price as the RC kit, and it's the best cheap kit you can get. It's no Skyjacker or James Duff kit, but it gets the job done and doesn't have the stupid drop plate. I beat the crap out of mine, and it held up great.

3.73's will work fine, especially if you use low range. It's one of those things where you pay for it when you've got money in the bank. Don't empty out your account just to regear, because you can get away without it. You will want to regear eventually, though. With 33's, I'd go with 4.56's.

swiperfoxx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was looking at the JDuff lift kit.

1. I was wonder if that kit would have better articulation than the RC?

2. The only Kit they have would be the 3'' Lift. My fender's are trimmed would I be able to use 33's tires?

I'm trying to get the most out of my money. I plan to use my suspension lift kit for as long as possible.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Duff also makes a 5.5" kit. Assuming you go with a stage 3 kit the rear will deffinatly flex better because of new springs (instead of blocks) and the front will also have extended radius arms which also help. You may also look into skyjacker, they make a high quality kit and the front springs I believe are a bit softer and they may be a bit cheaper than Duff.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
you want 4.10's at the least.4.56's would be better as you won't be able to tow or haul much without them.add a leafs and springs with more arch will give a stiffer ride.blocks retain stock rates and are softer riding but axle hop worse.my 33's barely clear in my 91 with 4" lift and cut wheel wells.my 2.9l is a dog with the 4.10's.also aviod the drop plate kits.

19MudSlut89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
3" body lift will clear 33s on your truck. and i had 3.73s and they worked well. barely any to no fender trimming. i had an 89 until i rolled it on saturday.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals