• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lockers, What Do You Run?

JimJa1943

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'05
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
2005 4L, 4x4, 4-door, manual transmission.

What Locker(s) Do You Run? Eaton E-Locker
Price? $850 Including installation
What Axles Do You Have? Standard Ford 8.8 front and rear
Gear Ratio? 4.10
Manual Or Automatic Transmission? Manual
Which Axle(s) Is It Installed In? Rear
Street Manners? TOTALLY silent. Electric switch controlled. Cannot hear engagement or disengagement. Rear "open" until needed.
Off Road Performance? Installed six months ago. Used almost every day. So much better than std L/S. No hard-core off-roading, just wanted more grip in low traction conditions. Exceeds all expectations. Like all solid lockers when turning, rear will get loose in slippery conditions, much more so than open or std L/S.
Any Breakage? No
Anything Else? So silent sometime I have to turn sharply to be assured it's actually engaged. Swapped std on/off switch with small, round, lit rocker and installed it out of the way on the steering column.

Good friend and neighbor requires 4x4 just get up his 3/8 mile long and very steep gravel drive. He loves his Suburban and it drives him crazy because he can't figure out how my light-in-the-rear little Ranger can go up his drive in 2-wheel when he has to use 4x4. I tell him if he bought a Ford he wouldn't need that 4x4. He doesn't know I have a locker and of course I'm not going to tell him. Not disparaging his Suburban, it's very nice, but I love giving him the business about it.

jayknight13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I cant wait to order my powertrax next week...seems like the best bang for your buck

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
What Locker(s) Do You Run? Both Powetrax Lock Rights (lunchbox)
Price? $100ea (rear off TRS, and the front off craigslist)
What Axles Do You Have? True D35, and 7.5"
Gear Ratio? 4.10's front and rear.
Manual Or Automatic Transmission? Manual
Which Axle(s) Is It Installed In? Both
Street Manners? Tolerable, clicks and pops occasionally. Easy to get used to the quirks.
Off Road Performance? Awesome. Open diffs or L/S's don't even begin to compare.
Any Breakage? No.......knock on wood.
Anything Else? Best investment next to a Winch and bigger MT's.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
What Locker(s) Do You Run? Powertrax Lock-Right, front/rear
Price? about $250 each, both new from Wayne Hartwig on Pirate4x4
What Axles Do You Have? Ford 8.8 and Dana 35
Gear Ratio? 4.56
Manual Or Automatic Tranny? M5OD
Which Axle(s) Is It Installed In? Both front and rear
Street Manners? Excellent, once in a blue moon it will pile up and release causing a 'kachunk' sound, extremely quiet and unnoticeable otherwise
Off Road Performance? Amazing what a TRUE 4X4 will do haha
How Long Have You Had It? 6-7 months
Any Breakage? None, but Spicer 5-760x u joints with welded caps, as well as Warn Jeep lock-outs help.
Anything Else? I will never own another truck without lockers.

:icon_thumby:

DieselTech07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1997 1994
Make / Model
Ford Ford FORD
Engine Size
2.3 3.0 3.0
Transmission
Manual
What Locker(s) Do You Run? aussie front/ lockrite rear
Price? about $230, new from offroadlockers.com rear was $356? from TRS
What Axles Do You Have? Ford 7.5" and Dana 35
Gear Ratio? 3.73
Manual Or Automatic Tranny? 5speed
Which Axle(s) Is It Installed In? both
Street Manners? almost unnoticeable- with hubs locked tcase in 2HI, I can sometimes feel a very slight jerking when turning close to the steering stops in parking lots or going into my driveway, have never been able to hear anything, going down the road I have never noticed any jerking. with the hubs unlocked you would never know it was there. the rear locker is more noticeable with the 5speed compared to the auto it was in before, but still very drivable
Off Road Performance? big difference from open/open. I now can go where I want to until I fall in ruts and have the diffs sitting on the ground(especially the front diff). I can easily go through mud holes that always stopped me with the open diffs.
How Long Have You Had It? august 2010
Any Breakage? None, but I have Spicer 5-760x u joints with the full snap ring mod.
Anything Else? I will never own another truck without lockers. -I need taller springs in the front(stock are sagging) and bigger mud tires would help the ground clearance problem. I did the D35 locker first because I had the front end apart to repack wheel bearings/spindle bearings and seals/upper&lower ball joints on both sides/three new spicer 5-760x u joints/diff axle shaft seals on both sides/slip yoke seal.

I also did the mod for using the lower beam bolt in the case as a drain hole. also the C-clip eliminator mod using a internal spring in the slip yoke 1" long seemed about right also tacked the end cap and clearanced the yoke slightly.

it took me most of a Saturday taking my time and many breaks (I also messed with spacing a spring up slightly and realigning the front end), I also already had the u joints in my spare shafts ready to go in, the spindle bearings in my spare spindles, and my ball joints in my spare knuckles

I had access to any tools I needed which definitely helped, :icon_thumby: I just had to borrow them from my toy box at work the day before(class 8 truck and bus mechanic)

EDIT: after running locked/locked for several months I thought i would give an update. when I go to 4wd and get on the throttle I have been able to go anywhere I have tried to go (mud, dirt trails,snowy trails,mud/snow hills) I now have enough traction to stop and restart on a steep hill with snow on the ground.

4/5/2011 EDIT: now running 32x9.50xr15 Super Swamper TSL on all 4 wheels. only got stuck twice last winter and both times it was in over 2 feet of snow- the door was within an inch or two of the snow when I got out. both times I was heading up hill and started to spin and sank. I was able to get out both times after putting chains on the rear tires.

as far as street driving with the 3.0L and 3.73 gears and a 5 speed tranny, starting on hills isn't to bad and I usually run 4th around home (55-60mph) and use 5th on the interstate (65-70mph) I left hubs locked all winter including a few trips on the interstate, and used 4x4 to get into my parking spot. only needed 4x4 on road a couple times but was able to run about 50-55mph locked in 4HI.

I am still very happy :yahoo: running locked/locked and will never own another truck without lockers.

Last edited:

youngPSD

Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What Locker(s) Do You Run? aussie front/ welded rear
Price? about $230
What Axles Do You Have? Ford 8.8" and Dana 35
Gear Ratio? 3.73
Manual Or Automatic Tranny? auto
Which Axle(s) Is It Installed In? front
Street Manners? trailer queen

Off Road Performance? night and day diffrence i can do double the hills in 1/4 of the trys all you have to do is mat it and wait for the tires to dig in and it will pull you over the hills
How Long Have You Had It? two years 70 offroad miles

Any Breakage? Nope, I installed Spicer 5-760x u joints last winter with the full snap rings and im only running 33 12.50 not sure if that helps

Anything Else?

JimJa1943

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'05
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Tire wear with locker

Has anyone responding to this thread (and the question needs to be added to the list of questions) noticed ANY ABNORMAL TIRE WEAR on the axle(s) that wasn't there prior to install of their locker? ...and what was the wear? ...just more wear on one side? ...uneven wear? whatever...

I haven't had mind long enough to tell yet.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone responding to this thread (and the question needs to be added to the list of questions) noticed ANY ABNORMAL TIRE WEAR on the axle(s) that wasn't there prior to install of their locker? ...and what was the wear? ...just more wear on one side? ...uneven wear? whatever...

I haven't had mind long enough to tell yet.
Only kinda "abnormal wear" I've noticed is in the center of the rear tires, and it's really not much......

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What Locker(s) Do You Run? powertrax
Price? front $150 used, rear $100 new old stock
What Axles Do You Have? d28, 7.5
Gear Ratio? 3.73
Manual Or Automatic Tranny? manual
Which Axle(s) Is It Installed In? both
Street Manners? has some low speed turning noise, but otherwise great
Off Road Performance? awesome! goes anywhere now, like a little tank.
How Long Have You Had It? front appx. 2 months, rear 6 months
Any Breakage? Nope, installed new front shafts before the u joints gave out (loose around the caps), but the damage was prob from before the locker was installed.
Anything Else? now when in the mud i can run circles around the bosses kid in his 87 f250 with 37's, and i can get in the small woods trails and keep up with the ATVs! will never have a open or L/S again

twxsby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just ordered the Aussie Locker XD-13527 Dana 35, be here in 4 days.

Last edited:

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
LOCK-RIGHT in REAR was $380. 1994 b4000 5spd d35/8.8 4.56. Street manners are fine and off road its like nothing I have ever used. I have had it a whole 3hrs so far -I left the shop and went right to the woods,auto hubs and wheelin by myself :icon_surprised: Eventhough I have only had it a few hours I can see what they mean when they say LOCKERS WILL GET YOU INTO TROUBLE -I had to force myself to slow down and NOT drive like an idiot-it was like the mud wasn't there and the hills seemed easier and FLATTER.UPDATE !!! FEB 2012 -I installed front ,now have front and rear locked with lock right rear Spartan in front. 4.56 gears 33-12.50R15 Destination M/T tires. In 2wd and hubs unlocked U-turns and parking lots are only issue.No more being lazy and driving with hubs locked (even in 2wd) not undriveable BUT you know something is different! OFF ROAD you will leave some pretty HEROIC TRACKS! With 12lbs of air in tires I am going through mud and up hill climbs I have no business doing. Locked front and rear is awesome-BUT I will get ARB front next time -too squrrrilly for DD but I was frugal and will live with it . My boss is putting ARB in jeep so expect lots of direct comparison

Last edited:

twxsby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good trick for removing cam gear pins

Car speaker magnet, 1/8" dia steel rod.

The grease holds that pin like mud holds A/T's

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
1994 Ford Ranger Ext cab, 4x2, 3.0l, M5OD, 4.10 gears, 7.5" rear axle

What Locker(s) Do You Run?
REAR: Richmond lock rite

Price?: $400 new

What Axles Do You Have? just a 7.5"

Gear Ratio? 4.10:1

Manual Or Automatic Tranny? M5ODR1 manual

Street Manners? what manners? it took me a while to get used to the slop and clunking (the ratcheting is almost silent unless the rear slider is open), but a little noise is a welcome sacrifice for the awesome traction this unit delivers.

Off Road Performance? have you ever launched a boat on a steep ramp only to find out that you cant get the truck and the trailer back up the hill? its very embarrasing, but never again now that ive got the lock rite! it also does a good job at not tearing up my yard when im moving trailers on the hill, it just grabs and goes; no more of that slipping and tire spinning trac-loc BS.

How Long Have You Had It? 1 month

Any Breakage? not yet and hopefully never (fingers crossed)

atvkid4eva

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Manual
What Locker(s) Do You Run? Powertrax Lock-Right RR, Detroit EZ Locker FT
Price? 340ish?
What Axles Do You Have? D35 & 8.8
Gear Ratio? 5.13
Manual Or Automatic Tranny? Manual
Which Axle(s) Is It Installed In? FR & RR
Street Manners? Kind of noisy, but that's normal for a lunchbox locker.
Off Road Performance? Great!
How Long Have You Had It? Couple Yrs.
Any Breakage? no
Anything Else? Very easy to install. Affordable. Huge difference from Open.

Smurf Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
What Locker(s) Do You Run? Eaton E-locker
Price? $400 from 4WP
What Axles Do You Have? 31 spline 8.8
Gear Ratio? 4.88
Manual Or Automatic Tranny? Automatic
Which Axle(s) Is It Installed In? Rear
Street Manners? It's selectable so it's just like stock.
Off Road Performance? My 2wd can now go way to far for my own good!
How Long Have You Had It? 2 years
Any Breakage? Nope
Anything Else? Well worth the money!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals