• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for my new Ranger - Bounty Offered

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Gents (and ladies... I think we have one or two?)

So, for those that have been watching my other thread:

I'm now moving it to here.

I'm looking for a new-to-me Ranger. Truck is going to be used as my winter daily, along with a work vehicle for sales calls, field visits, etc.

So! Here's where it gets interesting:

My frustration level has hit fever pitch with looking for a truck. I lost $500 today on a truck due to a "non refundable deposit" I put on one AT A FORD DEALER so I could check it out after work - I was promised "100% rust free" - it had more cancer than the one I looked at yesterday.

How you can collect a bounty:

Since my time is limited, and since this truck hunt is costing an arm and a leg, it would be much cheaper for me to slow down my hunt, and to offer up a finder's fee if one of ya'll finds one that suits my needs. From my perspective, Ive already sunk $500 into a deposit, have taken a few hits to my credit, and have spent over $300 in fuel going to dealers to see automatics being advertised as manuals. So, not really worth it to me to keep searching like I have been.

If you're interested, these are the minimum requirements. Not interested unless it has the following:

No body panel rot/cancer - A little patina that can be cleaned up with Ospho and paint is acceptable.
MANUAL TRANSMISSION - non-negotiable on this one. No more AutoTragics.
Extended cab
4wd
2006 or newer
150k mi or less for one owner, 120k or less for multiple owners

Ideal truck - Will pay finder 2% of my total out-the-door price. Has above requirements, plus"

2008-2009 FX4
Center console
Trailer tow (can be aftermarket)
Less than 100k mi
One owner

Less than ideal, 1.5% paid. Non-negotiable stuff, plus:

FX4 Level II or regular FX4 without above stuff, higher miles, etc.

OR

2009-2011 with non-negotiable stuff. Gives me something to drive until I can find an interior, etc.

Will also pay out 1% for finding a 06-11 Manual with less than 100k on it and no rust. Thing has to be presentable for clients, etc. so the no rust thing is critical.

Just to tie up loose ends, my budget is $15k, but I am willing to spend slightly more for "the one"

Kinda feel scuzzy for putting a bounty out there, but after losing $500 to a dealer today over another pile of sh*t that I didn't even buy, I'd rather shell out cash to someone I like for giving me a hand versus a used car salesman named "Chad" that I now f*cking despise.

**** Chad.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You should get a refund due to a technicality, basic fraud.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You should get a refund due to a technicality, basic fraud.
While I agree he probably would have had to get that rust-free guarantee in writing before handing over the deposit to get his money back by taking them to court over it.

If you make enough of a public fuss you could probably get somewhere.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
States vary by verbal agreements also, I suppose some evidence would be necessary

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Don't kill me. I know this isn't a Ranger (BII), it's not a 4th gen (gen1), Not an FX4 Level II (No idea what trim package it is). But it's in your price range, and *somebody* needs to save this beautiful specimen. I would grab it myself, but I don't have that kind of cash laying around.

The body is in really nice shape, the only rust that it seems to have is a little bit over the rear wheels.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Completely different direction but the ‘19’s are supposed to be getting pretty decent rebates now.

I heard of one guy getting $13k off. That would get a STX into the low $20k’s...

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Completely different direction but the ‘19’s are supposed to be getting pretty decent rebates now.

I heard of one guy getting $13k off. That would get a STX into the low $20k’s...
AutoTragedy... Even drove one at the trail ride. Can't get over the transmission.

The sad part is that if they had a manual option, I'd already own one.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Don't kill me. I know this isn't a Ranger (BII), it's not a 4th gen (gen1), Not an FX4 Level II (No idea what trim package it is). But it's in your price range, and *somebody* needs to save this beautiful specimen. I would grab it myself, but I don't have that kind of cash laying around.

The body is in really nice shape, the only rust that it seems to have is a little bit over the rear wheels.
Good looking specimen, but really need something to replace the SuperDoody and smoldering heap that was a Honda.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Automatics Rule...

There I said it...

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Here's one that looks promising but is very far away. Washington State. If you thinks it's interesting enough, have the salesman put it on a lift and video the undercarriage or at least send lots of well lit pictures. Then, if you like it, fly out and drive it home or have it delivered. (I've heard pf shipping around $800-$1,000)

Cargurus, Puyallap Washington

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
AutoTragedy... Even drove one at the trail ride. Can't get over the transmission.

The sad part is that if they had a manual option, I'd already own one.
I can't disagree with that. I would prefer a manual but life happens and I needed to get an automatic that had four doors.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
maybe the newest ranger generation will eventually get a manual- maybe not but you never know. Im surprised how few vehicles are available with a manual anymore. Ive seen very few fx4’s . never seen one in a junkyard. Rangers in general on lots around me are either very wore out or very rusty. occasionally both. The last ranger I saw that looked good was a 86 or 87 2wd auto V6. It had low miles but they wanted 8K for it- and it was a regular cab at that! Id love to find a nice 4.0 B2, but those are probably more rare than a good rust-free manual FX4.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Automatics Rule...

There I said it...
All due respect buddy...

Used to me meh on them.

Challenger taught me how fun a manual can be.

In 2015, my Chevy 2500HD had the stabilitrack system kick in on an icy mountain road. I was going 15-17 mph while climbing a hill and pulling a gooseneck. Stabilitrack caused my trailer to go over a cliff, dragging my pickup with it. A dozer yanked me off the edge a few hours later. If I had a standard, it wouldn't have happened. The system overcompensated.

After the second time my F350 slammed my forehead into the steering wheel, I wasn't about to let it do worse. (seatbelt tensioners do not work either btw - they're essentially useless) Ford is insistent there's nothing wrong with it. Since my headbutt incidents, it's done worse to others. The throttle body randomly closes itself or locks into acceleration for short bursts. If I had a clutch pedal, I could at least stop the acceleration. But I don't. So it's off the road. Keys are in it if you want it. I'll pm you the address.

My fleet trucks are MB or international diesels with synchronized Eaton fuller I 6 speed transmissions behind them. $15-20k to replace last time I watched a guy detonate one. I'd rather find out if guys can drive by letting them detonate a Nissan or Ford manual before one of the big girls. They're Wireline trucks. We can't lease/rent/borrow a backup if one goes down, so they can't go down.

The Wireline trucks are fun as hell to drive btw. Nothing like letting a Mercedes diesel with 926 ft lb of flywheel torque rip open low and slow and redline at 2500rpm. The one nicknamed 'beest' has an aftermarket short throw the PO put on. It chirps third with 30,000 ft of wire rope on a draw works in the bed. 6" factory intake pipe feeding a jurassic sized snail.

?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals