• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

loss of pedal pressure mid stopping

sab24711

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
98 ranger with a 96 5.0 with over 50,000 miles since the swap
pretty much what the title says. during braking, the pedal went to the floor and a complete loss of braking ensued. I wasn't driving the truck when it happened so I'm not completely sure if the abs played a role in the situation. I recently replaced the front brakes and rotors and have also driven the car for a few weeks and nothing like this has happened to me and I know the person driving wouldn't lie about it. no signs of a leak or low fluid, any help would be appreciated

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I've had it happen to me... and seen it on a few customer vehicles in the past. It's a master cylinder. Work flawlessly... then nothing. I think a piston seal rolls and pedal goes to the floor. On the way up the seal gets back into position the works until it happens again. Chances are... you will see some fluid loss between the master and the booster too.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Whenever this happens to me it is due to a rusty brake line, normally at the rear axle. I live in Ohio so if brake lines are over 10 years old they start to rust and can get pinholes that can cause a soft pedal but not show leaks unless you physically see the leak when the brakes are applied. Have you tried having someone putting a lot of pressure on the brake pedal while you scroll around the brake lines? Wouldn't hurt. I'd rather replace a brake line than a master cylinder.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals