• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lowered tire size/clearance issues

OGdr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I’m looking into a used djm 3/4 drop kit for my 87. I also just bought brand new tires but I’m afraid they’ll rub, especially the inner fenders.

Does someone here have a 1st gen with the same kit that could give me some insight on tire sizes? Thanks in advance

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Rim and tire sizes would help, but just grab some measurements from you truck as it is now, with stock settings, so you have a starting point. You want to keep your rim and tires final diameter close to the final diameter of the stock set, to keep the speedo correct. If you put small rims with small tires, you will change the final ratio of the speedo setting, but will get more clearance in the wheel well for lowering.

OGdr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The tires I have are slightly bigger than factory size already. I’m running 15x7 steel wheels off an ltd with a 215/70 tire.

my measurements tell me that I’ll rub, but this is 33 year old suspension with original shocks, springs, bushings, etc. so maybe it’s sagging some.

surely somebody on here has the same drop running 15” wheels

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
The tires I have are slightly bigger than factory size already. I’m running 15x7 steel wheels off an ltd with a 215/70 tire.

my measurements tell me that I’ll rub, but this is 33 year old suspension with original shocks, springs, bushings, etc. so maybe it’s sagging some.

surely somebody on here has the same drop running 15” wheels
unfortunately, this site is not that abundant with lowered trucks. Most of the "active" members here run lifted, off road set ups. There are some members that have lowered trucks, just not on here as much. @stmitch seems to be fairly knowledgeable on this subject, Maybe ha will chime in and possibly help you out.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't have any hands on experience with a lowered I beam truck unfortunately.

It's a 27 inch tall tire, which may not be ideal, but the good thing is it's pretty narrow. My gut says it could fit, but will depend on the wheel offset. Too much offset will rub the inside of the wheel well or the frame when turning. Too little offset could rub the fenders. At full lock now, are the tires closer to the frame or the fenders?

Another factor in total drop is the weight of the truck. A heavier truck will see more drop obviously. A v6 weighs more than a 4cyl. An extended cab weighs more than a regular cab. An auto trans weighs more than a manual. So if you've got a v6, auto trans and extended cab you might need to be extra conservative with your measurements. If your truck is a 4cyl, manual trans in a regular cab, you might get away with more tire without rubbing. If your truck is Something in between then your result will be something in between.

Ultimately, wheels and tires are an easy fix. You won't really know how your specific combo of truck/wheel offsets/tires will work together until you try it.

OGdr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well, worst case scenario is I have to buy two front tires. Thanks @stmitch for the input, tons of great info

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals