• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

LS explorer 3.27

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I had made a post about rear end changing and or aftermarket lockers can't find it.

Doing a little bit more research the door sticker on my truck is at 91 indicating a 3.27 ratio.

Now that I'm learning how to weld lol, it seems the Explorer D1 is L/S** 8.8″ 3.27, 3200 load rating.

Checking prices on lunchbox lockers and watching it few videos they do not seem to be very difficult to install.

So It is still a toss-up to change the whole rear end or put in a locker cost-wise should I have her reach this point with this truck.

I don't have the funds or plans on doing this just yet but I like to research things way way in advance.

One question I have, about the 3.27 ratio is it rare or common?

I'll do some online searching in the meantime rear ends seem to go from 2- to $400

A little LOL people putting in the Aussie and Spartan lockers seem to hate to hear the "click" even though it's a true and positive indication they are working?

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know how rare the 3.27s are, but I assume that since you're planning on running a locker you're building an off-roader? I would go at least a 3.73 or a 4.1 ratio for off roading especially if running tall tires. I know you're prob trying to avoid changing out your front R & P but IMHO for off roading it would be worth it.
Just my 0.02

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I'm really not going to be off roading Maybe some forest roads if I ever get back into doing canoe trips. I think I'm more about the research at this point.

I'm wondering if all Explorers have limited slip or if it was an option because they don't seem to be listed as open or LS when one starts looking for rear axles.
Correct, I am not into changing the front R&P

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I really wouldn't worry about a locker unless you are doing some serious muddy trails. Otherwise just regular limited slip should suffice. Most lockers will cause a significant reduction in road manners, even if it is a ratcheting one.

I don't know about how common limited slip, or 3.27s on Explorers are. I have a very small sample size, but have never run across an open solid axles Explorer (I'm pretty sure they do exist) nor one with 3.27s. 3.73 was the most common ratio.

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If you're not building an off-roader I'd definitely go with the LS over the locker (IMHO) a locker has some handling quarks on pavement, esp in tight turns like parking lots and slick roads.

But then again, some people love their lockers, clicking, handling quarks and all! :D

I'm also looking for an Exp for parts, rear axle and front end. So far every one I have looked at for sale for parts was a 3.73 open ('95 to '01 for my needs) but I'm told quite a few came with LS rears.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
As usual it's so much easier to find parts on eBay than anywhere else apparently used parts yards and sellers know where and how they make their money. Anyway there are plenty 3.27 Explorer and Ranger axles out there when if I'm ready.

I really like the Explorer axle swap! But I have to practice common sense before I go buy another rear. (Not mention it is a lot of work)

The rear end of my truck does the Shake Rattle and Roll 45 -60 mph. it definitely seems to be a rear end, in the next few days/week I'm going to look and see if it's a bent axle, loose pinion, or bearing. I never realized you could have a bent flange or axle and it doesn't really show with the wheel spinning!

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm also looking for an Exp for parts, rear axle and front end. So far every one I have looked at for sale for parts was a 3.73 open ('95 to '01 for my needs) but I'm told quite a few came with LS rears.
I think every solid rear Explorer I bother to look at in the yards is 3.73 LS.

I have a 31-spline trac-lok carrier out in my garage just collecting patina and dust because I yanked it for a Torsen.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
3.73 does seem to be very common.
So I'm surfing the web looking for information on bent axles or tubes on rear ends found this, pretty slick!
https://youtu.be/3Ss1SJ0Seps

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm running a 93 ranger 4x4 manual with 3.27 gears using 235/75r15" tires [29"]. It seems to be good for me, I use it as my work truck and sometimes haul some heavy loads. It struggles with my 20' car-hauler....:D
I seldom go off road, these gears wouldn't be great for rough stuff but logging roads would be fine.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I'm running a 93 ranger 4x4 manual with 3.27 gears using 235/75r15" tires [29"]. It seems to be good for me, I use it as my work truck and sometimes haul some heavy loads. It struggles with my 20' car-hauler....:D
I seldom go off road, these gears wouldn't be great for rough stuff but logging roads would be fine.
That's my truck too! But the 98 m5Od (I think) has very slightly higher gears. Barely 2,000 RPM at highway speeds like 65 mph.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I would stick to a limited slip for what you are after. From my experience on Explorers (since I've had 4, and have bought at least two more explorer 8.8's over the years) many are limited slip probably 60-75%, my second was 3.55 gears with an open rear, M5OD and electric transfer case, first I think was 3.73 and don't remember if LS or not, didn't have it long. The axle I got from the junkyard for my Ranger was a limited slip, I put it in the manual Explorer after rearranging the clutch pack and adding one clutch or steel (don't remember, I figure it out every time I do it...) from a spare set I got from a different junkyard axle and put an Aussie locker in the open axle I put in the Ranger (no lunchbox locker for a LS axle). Bought another half price Explorer 8.8 from a junkyard on thanksgiving weekend ($75 for an axle is cheap) this time disc brake, took the disc brake stuff out and put it on the Ranger axle, it was a 3.73 LS, re shimmed that LS and sold the now drum brake axle for a profit (got paid to go rear disc on the Ranger, other than my labor of course). Fast forward a couple years and I buy two more Explorers, both V8, both 3.73 with LS. To sum up the long story, my daily driver Explorer right now has a shimmed LS, I've put 30k miles on it since I shimmed it and it has great road manners and when you put the power down it will go sideways from both tires doing their job... of course if you go easy it won't do that... with a locker like in my Ranger it really isn't that bad on the road but it can lock up unexpectedly...

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I've been wondering can the 8.8 S Spring and clutches be retrofitted into an open 8.8?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
no on the internal carrier, it needs slots for the clutch tabs

yes on the big axle housing assembly.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
It still makes a lot of sense to go with the Explorer rear end, I know it's a lot of work but in the meantime there are still plenty of other things to do in his truck, something is thumping shaking in the back at 45 mph, going to try taking the back driveshaft off this week and running just on front wheel drive to make sure it isn't anything else.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Trying to track down this wobble shake on the back end at 40-65 mph.

Truck it is up on stands.

The back right side wheel is off,

there are no balance weights on the brake drum. the axle flange has a very very slight wobble hardly even perceptible but it has one 1/16" or less

The axle bearing moves not even a 1/32" an inch up and down but does move.

End play is very snug, I would say under 3/16"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals