• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD-R2 SWAP

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have some questions about this swap, My explorer is a 3 bar 97 with a 4R70W transmission and a AWD 4404 transfer case I believe.

I got a M5OD-R2 from a 99 f150 with a 4.2L v6 to swap into the explorer. I'm found conflicting information about this I would like to keep the vehicle awd just because I dont want to change a whole lot its just driver for bad weather and maybe if we goto the drive inn or camping blah blah blah..... the 4r70w is acting up sometimes so besides getting the codes deleted by a dealer for the automatic transmission, pedals, clutch flywheel etc.... what else is needed like driveshafts from what? Can I use the AWD transfer case from the explorer? Thanks in advance. I just want the vehicle to be 5 speed manual not looking to change much else.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, as long as the M5R2 is for 4WD it will just bolt up to transfer case, if transfer case is 4WD or AWD doesn't matter

If using the same transfer case then drive shafts should just bolt back on
Ford made the 4WD manual and automatic transmission the same length so should be no issues

Your computer will of course turn on CEL with no automatic hooked up, but computer programmer can delete automatic sofware at some point in the future if you want, won't effect operation, well maybe a higher idle

Last edited:

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yes, as long as the M5R2 is for 4WD it will just bolt up to transfer case, if transfer case is 4WD or AWD doesn't matter

If using the same transfer case then drive shafts should just bolt back on
Ford made the 4WD manual and automatic transmission the same length so should be no issues

Your computer will of course turn on CEL with no automatic hooked up, but computer programmer can delete automatic sofware at some point in the future if you want, won't effect operation, well maybe a higher idle
Awesome I appreciate it. I'll post in the other thread when the time comes for the swap. But I dont see a hole for the speedo cable on this one it must be in the transfer case (i haven't looked) the 2wd M5OD-R2 I had in my ranger had the hole on the tail housing.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In the late 1990s Ford was transitioning to OSS(output shaft speed) sensors on the transmissions, manual or auto, 2WD or 4WD, these would be used as "Speed Sensor" by 2001 in most Fords
2WD had the older style gear drive in Rangers thru 1997
4WD had same on transfer case thru 1997

Not sure on Explorers or F-series
In 4WDs with OSS after 2001 or so, the computer did a "speed conversion" for 4low when it was selected, to compensate for ratio change and what speedometer showed

If your transfer case is 1997 then it should still have the speedo hook up, 2 wire VSS on transfer case output shaft

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals