• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD-R2 to BW1354?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
M5OD-R2 and BW1356 info? (edited title)

trying to plan out a stronger engine for the '97, the 2.3 (as good as it's been to me) just doesn't make quite enough torque down low as I'm finding that I need. And it'll be going under a few other alterations at the same time.

I"m going 4wd. I'd really like a 5 speed manual. I really want to keep it Ford through and through. I also have a fancy Ford shop manual for it, and I'd like to keep the most Ranger parts on here as possible, but I'm not in the t-case that much and other driveline stuff so it's not that big of an issue (I can get other shop manals too). And finally, I'm not sure how easily the 1356? would fit between the frame rails.

so it seems like the M5OD-R2 would be a decent choise, I'm wondering if a 1354 would bolt up to it? (without tooooo many mods). And will the splines fit? And how different externally is it from the M5OD-R1? (I know there's a shifter location difference somewhere but I don't know what years. Or if they're even close to the same in the first place)

I'll tackle the other issues like bellhousing bolt patterns and clutch splines and all that other stuff a bit later.

I have a strong feeling this has been asked before and I'd search for it but well... yeah..

*Edit: Found part of the info in question - see post 3

Last edited:

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well what engine are you thinking to use? The M5OD-R2 has the bellhousing pattern for a 5.0L and you would want to grab a 1356 with it as the 1354 will not bolt up to it. But I guess it all really depends on what engine you are planning to use in the first place.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I'm not real sure why what engine I'm using has anything to do with the tranmission to transfercase pattern, but since it was inquired: I'm going with a small diesel of undertimed make at this time. But it won't be making 200 ft lbs more like 180-200 or so. It's also a street truck with some occasional field use and won't be nessecarily wedged up against anything that would allow the diesel torque to snap the tranny gears, like a rock, stump or really steep incline.

I have no intention of finding a bellhousing or adapter plate that will bolt up to what I'm doing. As I said, I'll figure that stuff out later. I was already planning on going completely custom there. I've done this a couple times. but as I'm only in the planning stages I figured I'd inquire if these 2 peices would fit, lots of other stuff I already know won't and I know how to make them fit once I get them.

so the 1354 is absolutely a no-go with the M5OD-R2.. oh well.

Anyone know if the 1356 will wedge between the Rangers frame rails?

Last edited:

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What about using a tranny that will bolt up to the engine you are thinking of using and then finding a t-case that will bolt to that tranny?

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Advanced adapters has a collar and spud shaft that will allow you to bolt it up, it'll add 4 inches to your drivetrain though. I'm using one to keep my 1354 behind a ZF 5 Speed.

-andrew

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
What about using a tranny that will bolt up to the engine you are thinking of using and then finding a t-case that will bolt to that tranny?
I think most of the diesels I'm looking at are originally for transaxle configration, but that might be a good idea to check around on. most of the RWD applications are for Brazil and such, and the vast vast majority of Tranny's down there don't do well in cold weather. but there's probably at least something somewhere.

Ty wahlstrom1, I'll be sure to check that out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals