• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5od-r2 trans questions

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Im putting in a 5.0 from an exploder. Im using a fox mass air harness A9L computer. So what do I need for transmission then i know the o2 harness is separate from the trans harness on the stangs and i know guys have used this trans m5odr2 in rangers and my ranger has the r1 in it now what else would I possibly need since I dont want to fry the a9l $$$ the t5 has 2 plugs neutral safety and reverse so what am I missing? Or am I over thinking this again?

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The only thing you need is a neutral safety switch or a way to bypass it so it will start up without depressing the clutch pedal. Was your Expo a manual transmission? The M5ODR2 has no connections to the A9L.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No its was an auto im gonna hang onto everything from that for a different ranger (newer) later but I have the mass air mustang harness and a9l computer I also have a sn95 fuel rail i was gonna use i need the o2 harness still from the mustang I forgot about that. But I wasnt sure how different the connections were between the m5odr2 and t5 plus ive heard you can fry that a9l if you don't have that harness.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The M5ODR2 does have a reverse light switch on it.

Clutch switch is with the vehicle harness, nothing on the trans itself. My truck (originally had an automatic) had a shunt in the connector, I removed that and plugged it into a clutch switch.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
It's been a long time since I messed with an A9L, but IIRC the issue is with the Auto vs Manual O2 sensor harness. If you use the wrong harness it sends power to pin#30 and can burn out the ECM.
Don't quote me on any of that... I haven't even touched an A9L in 15+ years. Hopefully I sparked someone else's memory or you do a little research.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I appreciate the info sometimes its hard to find the info online but im gonna get a new o2 harness from cj pony or lmr they have them for manual trans setups. But as long as the back up lights come on and the nss works it will make life so much easier. Besides I have enough wires to mess with for the cluster im gonna build. Im probably gonna use glowshift gauges im sure they make a plug for the newer v6 trans since there maybe isn't a wormhole

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals