• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5od to Ax15 transmission swap

Blaket6199

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey I wanted to know if it is possible to swap and AX15 transmission from a Jeep into a Ford Ranger the reason way I want to do this is because I want to swap a Cummins R2.8 inside of a Ford Ranger and there is no transmission adapter plate for the 2.8 to and M50D so my only option is to go at the AX15 transmission does anybody know if it's possible to do this swap and if so is there a swap kit out on the market.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

It you are swapping the engine and trans then not sure what you would need adapted?

The shifters look to be at about the same place, but you will be installing new motor mounts so can adjust that an inch or two.
AX15 can use hydraulic clutch

Trans support can be adapted to be any where.

Most diesels have a built in fuel pump so you just need a lift pump in the fuel tank

Most likely need some high rated springs in the front for the extra weight of the engine

You can add a vacuum pump for the power brakes or switch to hydraulic booster

I would look at this forum: https://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php

The R2.8 is the newer version of the BT4 and maybe not a "better" version, read here: https://www.4btengines.com/cummins-r2-8l-turbo-diesel-review/

Many Ranger swaps/builds to BT4s out there, and would give you loads of info on problems and solutions

Blaket6199

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have worked on R2.8s so that's y I'm using it not a 4 bt also I dont want to do that same as every one else and I know if I'm swapping engine and transmission I wont need to worry about adapter plates my point was that no one on planet earth makes an R2.8 to M5OD adapter plates. Also the R2.8 only weighs 510lbs so it's not much heavier than a 4.0l v6. But anyway what ur saying is the ax15 can fit under the ranger no problem?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't know

Might be a couple of inches taller than the M5R1, doesn't look much wider, but with the height of the diesel engine I see a body lift being needed so I don't think the height of the AX15 would be an issue

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals