• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5odr2 transmission questions

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey i have a 89 5.0 im putting in my 90 ranger I wanted to use a f150 manual transmission m5odr2. Will i need to get a drive shaft made? I already put the 8.8 rear from a 97 exploder in the ranger so its lowered. Will I need to change the hydraulics over for the clutch, will my rangers (2.3) engine 5spd manual transmission mounts/ cross member work with the m5odr2 transmission? Will the wires need to be changed or will it plug in? These are answers I can't find in threads so maybe if its one place others can find it also quickly.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I managed to get my 5.0 in position so i could use a stock driveshaft on the rear (mine is 4x4). The trans sits on the original mount for mine. So, yes it can be done. I used the flat engine mount plates on top of the V6 mounts. I also converted to the one piece drive shaft. The M5ODR2 clutch hydraulics are the same as the 5 speed transmissions in the Ranger but the master cylinder can be an issue due to different connector on the hydraulic hose to the slave cylinder. I believe I used a 1994 Explorer master cylinder which had the right connector. I'm pretty sure the connector on the trans for reverse lights just plugged in. Don't know about the speedo hookup on the 2wd.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 97-04 V6 M5OD's fit the best (shifter location)... but do not have provisions for a speedometer drive. The donor trucks have electronic speedometers. If you are not scared to get dirty you might be able to switch the rear housing between the 97-04 trans and a newer one, I don't know.

Explorer hydraulics seem to be working for me, master, line and slave. You might check and see if they are the same as what you have. They changed connectors right in there somewhere, your master and might already be the same.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The 97-04 V6 M5OD's fit the best (shifter location)... but do not have provisions for a speedometer drive. The donor trucks have electronic speedometers. If you are not scared to get dirty you might be able to switch the rear housing between the 97-04 trans and a newer one, I don't know.

Explorer hydraulics seem to be working for me, master, line and slave. You might check and see if they are the same as what you have. They changed connectors right in there somewhere, your master and might already be the same.
I have my local ford only junkyard looking for a for a r2 from a 97 to 03 v6 trans 2wd from an f150 I read other places its the same bellhousing as the 5.0 im not sure if you would know for sure. But I would imagine i would still need the v8 flywheel and clutch parts. Also im goning to be using glow shift gauges so I still have to call them to see how to adapt to their gauge. Also does anyone know how much power that trans can handle in theory? Eventually its going to be reused in a newer ranger build.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have my local ford only junkyard looking for a for a r2 from a 97 to 03 v6 trans 2wd from an f150 I read other places its the same bellhousing as the 5.0 im not sure if you would know for sure. But I would imagine i would still need the v8 flywheel and clutch parts. Also im goning to be using glow shift gauges so I still have to call them to see how to adapt to their gauge. Also does anyone know how much power that trans can handle in theory? Eventually its going to be reused in a newer ranger build.
I used the clutch, flywheel and starter for a '96 F-150. You need the separator plate from that vintage of truck too, it has a different ring gear depth and to prevent mixups it has a smaller hole for the starter. Use whatever R1 clutchs hydraulic stuff applies for your truck.

On the street I don't know what its power limits are. Most street guys don't care for it because it kinda shifts like a bigger truck transmission, gearing isn't really ideal for racing and there isn't much out there for aftermarket to improve much of anything. Usually they gravitate towards the T-5 (which is weaker but has virtually unlimited aftermarket)

Off the street it isn't highly thought of in fullsize trucks (which are heavier) because it is kinda geared like a car transmission (first is pretty steep especially) and with decent power and tires they are not overly well known for their durability. I suppose 'birds wheelhop thing applies but in slow motion.

I have one in mine so I am not overly scared about it. But it is also in a 4000lb Ranger with a rather weak 200hp 302 and 31" tires. Not a 5k F-150 on 35's with a 351.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Great never read about any of that, its not even a horse per cubic inch motor i was going to usa a e303 cam or b303 since it has gt40p heads explo intake the good one, expo injectors but im really not that worried about more power it really just needs to go under its own power. Im building a more powerful engine and newer body style ranger for later. I have an 8.8 in the truck already with 3.73s and it actually has some get up and go now even being in the 40hp left club after 29years and 230k later that 2.3 is "wore da fk out" so it wont be as embarrassingly slow I might actually get to play with some people on the road.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals