• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Making a 2.3 faster

BlueRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 2.3 in my 93 ford ranger i was wondering if i could make it faster, if so how? or would i be better off doing a conversion???? :icon_confused:

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
turbo. Swap. Drop it out of a plane. those are the good options

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Well...my buddy is putting out right around 500hp with his 2.3L turbo truck. Its a 94 reg cab splash 2wd. It's his daily driver and drag truck. He sprays it as well. Runs in the mid 6's in the 1/8 mile. He's working on a roll cage so he can tune it to go faster this year.

Slipknotyk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 2.3 in my 93 ford ranger i was wondering if i could make it faster, if so how? or would i be better off doing a conversion???? :icon_confused:
There are a variety of different ways you can go.

The 2.3 does have a large aftermarket following. It's the Miata motor. It's stable and can throw down large power numbers with the right turbo/cam/head/bottom end. This can get a bit pricy.

You can also look into the Folvo (Ford/Volvo) 2.5 I4. Turbocharged, this motor can build power slightly greater than the 2.3

There's the 3.0, which you can supercharge with either the Eaton M90 or M112 (Cobra Terminator Supercharger) and build into a pretty decent little block. There is also a stroker kit (Tom Morana) available, and you can convert to E85.

The 4.0 is an other option. This motor can be supercharged with the Eaton M90. Cams are made by Comp Cams, and there's a Stroker kit made by Tom Morana.

The 4.0 SOHC has all the available aftermarket following of the old 4.0 but I can't seem to find cams or heads. The Eaton M90 also works for this motor along with the Stroker kit.

A common (non factory) swap is the 99-01 Explorer 5.0 V8. This engine features a lot of interchangeable parts with the 5.0 Mustang. Explorer Express makes a supercharger for this engine. This is an option good for TONS of useable power, and something that can be a reliable daily unit. However, you will probably have to modify your driveline. A 4R70W or 2wd A4OD is a good choice. You will likely need to shorten your driveshaft. You may want to get the 8.8 built, as it will not handle 280 lb ft torque. If you choose to supercharge the 5.0, you may need to look into a built 9-inch. This option can get very, very pricey.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It is the same motor they put in the newer hatch and ST model Focuses, Escape, and Mazda3 (or 5 not sure which or both). Lots of aftermarket parts available, but you are not going to notice much with average bolt ons. Your best options are turbo, motor swap, and/or gearing change. Anything else wont be much help.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There are a variety of different ways you can go.

The 2.3 does have a large aftermarket following. It's the Miata motor.
No, it isn't.

The miata has never had a motor that big.

Last edited:

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It is the same motor they put in the newer hatch and ST model Focuses, Escape, and Mazda3 (or 5 not sure which or both). Lots of aftermarket parts available, but you are not going to notice much with average bolt ons. Your best options are turbo, motor swap, and/or gearing change. Anything else wont be much help.
and again, no, it's not.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well...my buddy is putting out right around 500hp with his 2.3L turbo truck. Its a 94 reg cab splash 2wd. It's his daily driver and drag truck. He sprays it as well. Runs in the mid 6's in the 1/8 mile. He's working on a roll cage so he can tune it to go faster this year.
Even on spray I'd have to be present for the dyno runs to believe that...

Because a 2.3 doesn't spin all that well, and without an esslinger head doesn't flow all that well and well before any possible torque/rpm combination would produce 500hp that crank would come out of that block like a torpedo out of a submarine

Now on MEthanol, turbocharged with spray if you can live with bringing spare engines to the track with you 400hp is possible... though not particularly reliable... but then probably only if you are "Turbo Joe" Morgan

AD

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hands down the best way to make a 2.3 faster is go to the pet shop and trade your current squirrels for a set of jack rabbits, upgrading to fox squirrels is nice, but really only helps in the torque dept.

The turbo upgrade options sounds the best and most affordable. Aside form tuning.

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What are all of you talking about....?
Its not the Miata motor
Nor is it the 'current' generation mazda/ford Duratec, NOR zetec motors...

The OLD 2.3 is the PINTO engine, what the hell guys???

Either boost the piss out of it, or dump it for a v-8.

I dumped my 2.5 in favor of a 5.0, and I wouldn't think twice about doing it again.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2.3 makes me think Tempo. LOL

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
2.3 makes me think Tempo. LOL
LOL those OHV engines are even weaker than the SOHC engines power wise, but the Tempo 2.3Ls are just as reliable, if not more. I have 2 good motors with 182K inuse and 143K as a spare. I see them around here all of the time. Might not be the greatest looking car, but it's a good beater to get me to work and get decent enough fuel mileage. Not exactly the easiest thing to work on though, but have enough spare parts that I shouldn't need to think about buying a new beater car for a while.

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
In '93 I bought a '89 2wd Ranger w/2.3L. Lowered the piss outta it and had a shop in Murfreesboro, TN build my 4-banger. They done a cam, headwork, header, mustang injectors, pulleys, and burnt my chip.

It would run 10.88 in the 1/8. My buddy's brand new '93 S-10 w/4.3L would run 10.78

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals