• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Master cylinder push rod length

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Here I am again with another obscure problem...

I put that 2nd gen dash in my '88 Ranger along with 2nd gen pedals. I had an assortment of master cylinders, hoses, and whatnot to use including one that I think was from an Explorer. I had to use a different hose (different quick connect fitting on the slave) but it all went together fairly well.

Here's the issue:

When I push the clutch pedal in, the push rod does not travel far enough into the master cylinder to engage the clutch switch completely. It needs to travel approximately another 1/4". Additionally, I believe this is also an issue for the clutch itself - I do not think the clutch releases all the way. With the pedal pushed in, it is hard to get into gear and the driveshaft begins spinning (wheels off the ground.) I don't believe this is an issue with air in the system, I am pretty good at bleeding them... I think it is either a push rod length thing or possibly the firewall itself not having proper clearance for the master cylinder to bottom out because the pedal hits it.

I measured other push rods I have and they are all actually shorter than the one I'm using - around 7" vs 8-1/4". I don't believe a shorter push rod will help.

Has anyone run into this before? I know I kinda have a hodgepodge of parts going on here... my two thoughts at this point are to either grind off the back of the clutch pedal so it travels further before it hits the firewall, or make my push rod even longer - that may not work though, I will have to look but I imagine the pedal itself about at the top of its range of travel already.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Upon further inspection I think a longer pushrod might be the thing no matter what. The clutch pedal sits lower than the brake pedal in this truck by about 1/2" or so. In all of my other vehicles, it is about 1-2" higher than the brake pedal. I still think that this is caused by the firewall somehow. Perhaps I will make an adjustable length push rod, that should fix this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals