• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MIL/MIL Scopes

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i know, i know, this is a truck forum. there seem to be more than a few people that shoot, so hopefully someone can help me figure this out.

i was going to ask this question on the shooting forum i post on occasionally, but it would be like me asking if 8.8 explorer axleshafts swap directly into ranger 8.8's......or cheap ways to improve horsepower.

so here's my question.....i have a 1/4" MOA adjustable tactical scope on my rifle right now with a mil dot reticle. i have my scope adjustments in MOA at every 100 yards from 100 to 1000 yards. i keep my rifle zeroed at 100 yards and then dial the scope for whatever range i'm shooting at.

now a days, most scope companies are starting to produce scopes that adjust in .1 MILs instead of MOA. i wanna get a MIL/MIL scope, but i dont understand how i would convert my MOA dope data into MIL dope at each range.

i've researched this and i cant seem to find a good answer, people just make cases as to why MIL/MIL is better than MOA/MIL

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
Wish I could help.I have always been an iron sight shooter,but now that I'm getting older I am starting to look into scopes.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
man.. i'm just a good ole boy shooting some guns. i can't help you there....
i do a lot of shooting, even w/ scopes. but i just sight them in from shooting and go for it!! lol.

enlighten us if you figure it out!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
thanks dave, that's sort of what i'm after. i have a pretty good understanding of that already. good info there though, i'm def gonna print that out at work tomorrow. i use most of those forumlas already when i'm shooting. i can take targets of known size (usually in inches) place them at random distances, mil them through my scope, make a rough estimate on range and dial the scope.

man.. i'm just a good ole boy shooting some guns. i can't help you there....
i do a lot of shooting, even w/ scopes. but i just sight them in from shooting and go for it!! lol.

enlighten us if you figure it out!
i'm the same way. i only need this for target shooting. when i'm hunting, i wont shoot at anything further away than 100 yards or so (unless i have a monster buck that just will not come any closer, but monster bucks are few and far between where i hunt) i just dont find it sporting to kill a deer at 400 yards, i can do that in my sunday clothes with my rifle resting on the hood of my car. not that hunting out of a tree stand evens the odds any more either.

looks like i'll need to do some math at work tomorrow. i was hoping someone new of an easier way to convert the MOA data i already have.

thanks for the input!

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Daniel_187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Some of the High end scopes like Nightforce and Shmit&Bender(I don't think I spelled that right) are Mil - Mil and are not affected if changing the power IE
4x to 9x your zero is still the same. I wish all scope companys did that.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Some of the High end scopes like Nightforce and Shmit&Bender(I don't think I spelled that right) are Mil - Mil and are not affected if changing the power IE
4x to 9x your zero is still the same. I wish all scope companys did that.
those arent high end scopes, those WAAYYYYYYYYYYY high end scopes....lol. i wish i could afford one of those. i could pay someone to finish my b2 if i had that kind of cash. the schmidt and benders go for over $3k on some models.

but what i think you're talking about is FFP scopes versus SFP scopes.

FFP (front focal plane) scopes can use the mildot reticle to range targets at any zoom level.

SFP (single focal plane) scopes have to be set at a certain zoom to range a target.

i currently have an SFP scope on my gun, it has to be set on 10X to accurately range a target or use the mildots for holdovers. i didnt mention this in my initial post b/c i'm probably going to buy a fixed 10x scope when i get my new scope and thus it wont need to be set to a certain magnification to use the reticle. i wouldnt mind an FFP scope but they're too far out of my price range.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i'm not buying a scope that costs more than my gun.... period.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'm not buying a scope that costs more than my gun.... period.
i've heard some people say that you're supposed to spend more on the scope than the rifle. but $3k? for a civilian? hell no, there's no way to justify buying a scope for that much money. my gun was $966 out the door about 4 years ago.....i'm not even dropping that much on one. for what i need and want to do, a $300-$400 scope will be more than enough. i paid $250 for the one that's on there now and it's been zereod for almost 2 years now with no problems. always hits the same spot and it tracks pretty damn good for a cheapie. the glass is also better than the glass in my spotting scope.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i've been trying to do the math all day at work, but i cant figure it out. just when i think i have my head wrapped around it, i get confused again.

i do know this:

1 MIL @ 100 yards = 3.6 inches and one MIL @ 1000 yards = 36 inches (3.6 x 10)

so i can figure out a MIL value at each range inbetween, but then i'd have to do more math for the amount that the bullet drops at each range. i just want a formula i can plug my current data into!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals