• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

milemarker pe8000

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
This link will give you different performance/speed ratings for different winches:

http://www.trsfabandoffroad.com/products/winch_performance_comparisons.htm

at a 6,000lb load, my Warn XD9000i will pull at 8.67ft/min. A Warn M8000 will pull at 9.79ft/min, the MM PE8000 will pull 6 ft/min and a MM SX9.5 will pull at 12.8 ft/min.

When you compare line speeds, look at the speeds with the same loads. Warn M8000 is rated real fast with 0 load, but only 3.79 ft/min faster than MM under load.

It would take the MM PE8000 2.04 minutes to winch 6,000lbs 20ft. It would take a MM PE8000 3.33 minutes to do the same. A MM SX9.5 could knock it down to 1.56 minutes.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
As far as occasional-use winches for off-road recovery, Warn seems to be one of the better names. However, I do actually wheel my truck, and do actually use my winch, MileMarker or otherwise....
Oh I know. Was just bustin on my buddys that dont.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have had two of those cheap winches. One was a MM PE 8000 and the other a HF 8000. They are slow as hell. I used them all the time and I dreaded having to wind all the cable back in. It was painful to stand there feeding the cable as it literally inched its way into the drum. I firmly believe that both winches died of just constant grinding away from spooling the cable in. If you just want to show off a winch, they are fine. Maybe once a year you will use it. But if you need it, damn, it's not worth it. I suffered for years with those. I was to the point where I would gathe rup the cable and shove it into the passenger side window because i knew I would just have to get it out again in a couple of minutes. It's not worth the pain and suffering. They will pull hard, no question. But they are agonizing and short-lived if you use it frequently.

What I have now is a Superwinch EPi 9.0. It's extremely fast winding the cable back in--47fpm. That is my number one criteria. You usually have to pull only a few feet to rescue yourself so line speed under load doesn't mean much. You need to get the cable back in to get mobile again. But this SW is a good puller under load as well, and it's a 9,000# winch. I would say it's very similar to Jim's XD9000i, but it's a lot faster without a load on it.

It's part# 09034 and I got it for $600 with free shipping and it comes with a snatch block. I bought it from some RUbicon outfitter website I believe.

Like I said, if you aren't planning to spend a lot of time with the cable out, those two cheap winches are fine. But you will suffer if you plan to use them frequently. It's not worth it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals