• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

More ford 351W questions...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Few questions...

Can i use a 77 timing cover on a 96 block? I was reading about the water pumps being different.

Will the 96 block accept a V belt alternator bracket?

After my 86 engine fell through i found a 96...that runs. But i want to switch it to V belts so i can run the early style alternator and not need to rewire

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i dont remember the offset. there are some differences. reverse rotation water pump and fan being key.

i would run the truck serpentine system complete FEAD..actually...i would run the setup from a van.....upgrade the alternator and ac compressor to easily sourced items.. not much for wiring...make some new ac lines....charge er up and go.....and an electric fuel pump.

i have dressed out a 96 block for a old mustang before with the ratty ass v belts. there were some minor spacing issues.
dont remember about the cam eccentric setup bolts...iirc they are still 3/8..

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Few questions...

Can i use a 77 timing cover on a 96 block? I was reading about the water pumps being different.

After my 86 engine fell through i found a 96...that runs. But i want to switch it to V belts so i can run the early style alternator and not need to rewire
Yes, you'll also use the 77 water pump and all the accessory brackets. The 96 timing cover doesn't have a spot for a mechanical fuel pump. A 96 cover would have alignment dowels to position it, the 77 cover doesn't so you'll need to be careful installing it square. I have part of a balacer that I cut off and lightly honed to make it slide on easier, with the seal in place I slip the balancer hub into the seal to locate it properly, then tighten the bolts. A 96 engine also won't have a fuel pump eccentric on the cam gear, and Ford being Ford, there are 2 possible eccentrics- a one piece and a 2 piece- and they don't interchange. The one piece is deeper than the 2 piece so the gear has to match the eccentric.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
and the hd eccentric is over a 100 bux too.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Few questions...

Guys put 5.0 Explorer belt systems on 351W's... so I would think so.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Yes, you'll also use the 77 water pump and all the accessory brackets. The 96 timing cover doesn't have a spot for a mechanical fuel pump. A 96 cover would have alignment dowels to position it, the 77 cover doesn't so you'll need to be careful installing it square. I have part of a balacer that I cut off and lightly honed to make it slide on easier, with the seal in place I slip the balancer hub into the seal to locate it properly, then tighten the bolts. A 96 engine also won't have a fuel pump eccentric on the cam gear, and Ford being Ford, there are 2 possible eccentrics- a one piece and a 2 piece- and they don't interchange. The one piece is deeper than the 2 piece so the gear has to match the eccentric.
I knew about the timing cover...i gotta put my 77 cover on anyways cause i need to use the front sump pan and the 77 cover has tbe dipstick running through the cover.

Cant i just replace the 96 timing set with the 69 set i got (or another carbed era set) and use my eccentric?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Im thinking i can run my harmonic balancer/crank pulley on the newer engine, get an v belt alternator mount, a v belt water pump pulley, and bolt my power steerinng pump bracket on and go.

The harmonic balancers/crank pulley/ crank OD stayed the same (as i understand) through the whole production run correct?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
i dont remember the offset. there are some differences. reverse rotation water pump and fan being key.

i would run the truck serpentine system complete FEAD..actually...i would run the setup from a van.....upgrade the alternator and ac compressor to easily sourced items.. not much for wiring...make some new ac lines....charge er up and go.....and an electric fuel pump.

i have dressed out a 96 block for a old mustang before with the ratty ass v belts. there were some minor spacing issues.
dont remember about the cam eccentric setup bolts...iirc they are still 3/8..
My car doesnt have AC anyways.

From what i was just reading this morning it sounds like i basically need to use 77 everything to get the V belts to work.

I wouldnt be opposed to using the serpentine setup like i said if i could get an alternator and PS pump that would work without having to change a bunch of stuff on that end.

I also read that the EFI 351's actually have a fuel pump eccentric in them. I dont know ive never been in one. Not sure why ford would have done this.

Anyways...one other thing. If im going with the roller 351 id like to stay as close to the original power output as possible after switching to carb/duraspark.

Im thinking a 600ish cfm 4bbl with a dual plane intake...what do ya think?

That leads me to one last question (for now)...i read the roller cams use a different distributor drive gear then the non roller cams...as in its harder...and itll chew up the old style distributor gears. Whats your reccomendation there? Use the drive gear off the 96 distributor or use something aftermarket?

All this being said i did also find an 85 351w with a supposed 85,000 miles on it from an E150 that rotted in half. Its a 2bbl with EEC IV distributor. I wasnt aware ford used (what im assuming is a feedback system) on the 351. I may end up doing that...minus the feedback.

Sorry yall if i seem like im babbleing but putting all this out there with feedback helps me sort things out in my head...which often races and becomes obssessed when i do shit like this lol.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My efi 302 had an eccentric, it was called am oil slinger by then though.

Some timing covers are close enough to the triming set the slinger isn't required..

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
I knew about the timing cover...i gotta put my 77 cover on anyways cause i need to use the front sump pan and the 77 cover has tbe dipstick running through the cover.

Cant i just replace the 96 timing set with the 69 set i got (or another carbed era set) and use my eccentric?
Do a test fit, your eccentric on the 96 cam gear might clear the timing cover. Is the 96 timing set good enough to reuse? If the chain is loose now's the time to replace it. A double roller chain is the only way to go, so called silent chains stretch after a few miles.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Do a test fit, your eccentric on the 96 cam gear might clear the timing cover. Is the 96 timing set good enough to reuse? If the chain is loose now's the time to replace it. A double roller chain is the only way to go, so called silent chains stretch after a few miles.
Im not sure. I havent went and actually checked it out yet. Im doing that tomorrow.

Whichever engine i end up with is getting a new timing set, oil pan/rear main, oil pump, and whatever else is eaiser with it out before i drop it in

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Im thinking i can run my harmonic balancer/crank pulley on the newer engine, get an v belt alternator mount, a v belt water pump pulley, and bolt my power steerinng pump bracket on and go.

The harmonic balancers/crank pulley/ crank OD stayed the same (as i understand) through the whole production run correct?
Look closely at the balancer, the elastomer is likely cracked by now and the hub is probably scored where the seal rides. Unlike 302's, 351's kept the 28.2 oz/in imbalance. It's a pain in the neck to clean a balancer well enough to paint it, too.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
yeah you shouldbe good to use all of your stuff. the bolts for the pump eccentric should work. the v beltbracketry is sometimes difficult on the v belts to get dialed in. just requires more patience. boat engines ran the eccentric much longer.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Just to button this thread up....

I ended up buying a 85 351w 2bbl from a junkyard....that way i can have this thing running while i build my other engine the way i originally wanted to and satsify my inpaitence

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals