• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Muffler on a 2.3l

FX2.3

March 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I wonder how the stock muffler would sound with dual long tips..

I have duals setup w/ magnaflow catback on my 2.3 duratech.. rice.. eh..

powerwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
personaly the new vw turbos sound the best. thats wut i wish my 2.3 sounded like

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Flowmaster 40 on my Ranger 2.3. You won't mistake it for anything else and its not ricey. I have Cherry Bomb turbo mufflers on both my 4 liter Jeeps and like that tone. Had a Cherry Bomb glasspack on my old minivan V6 and it was a nice mellow tone, until you floored it...

HAWGFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
bringin back a dead thread as i just got through some serious 2.3lima no turbo exhaust testing in 3 configurations... the one thing that stays the same is using a stock steel ex man/ header and 18in long 3.5in chrome tip out the side.. first set up with 4 rr44 e auto OD. second with 5 speed manual. and 3rd,carborated mid engine in a TRIKE.. Pick you fav popular muff,thrush flow, cherry bomb,magna, borla,etc i tested it.W ith 2 2.25 2.5 and 3in pipe.Hands down winner overall for sound , velocity, reversion/ b p pulses etc. JONES full boar turbo!!..,it looks like a glass pack but is actually 2 spiral louvered cores nice priced on ebay.. Since this was all done at friends midas shop. it all came out great just as most have said big pipe is overkill and robs everything. 2in pipe the best and 2.25 2.5 close second. but 2in pipe is less expensive by the stick, WIN. The muffler body tucks away nicely and i went with a 2.5 in straight in and out. with it necked down to 2in and necked up for the tip,which is the key to gettin away from rice sound , its just not there. it sounds like 1/2 a v-8 and i get alot of compliments...inot ready for a rebuild yet even with 350000 on it in the dirty south, its got the standard mods and bein a 96 it has the earlier camshoft mod, but it still struggles to merge. The rebuild will be flat tops and turbo and my auto truck swapped to stick.i need swap over parts if anyone has a complete pedal assembly, console/shifter.etc i need it all as of 6/5/19 Hope this has helped alot of folks decide theres no need to buy pricey flowmaster magnaflow bassani or fancy brand name muffs.i also applied 40 years fo buildin reliable Harleys 99 back and folks wonder why thier bikes are dogs too when they just spen 1000 on a exhaust,lol .. oh yeah. theres no such thing as a high flow cat, tear one open some time, have you never heard of a clogged cat?As long as you have one o2 sensor in the pipe inside 2 ft of the motor the ecm will read fine......

96STranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l shorty
Transmission
Manual
Is 2" the stock pipe size? I'm thinking of putting a resonator in place of the cat and then the jones full boar after that in place of the muffler, but i want to stick with the stock tail pipe without needing too many adapters at this point.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals