• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 1996 Yamaha XT225

Lord Corn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R15
Hello everyone, I wanted to show you guys my first motorcycle, an XT225 enduro. Last summer I acquired it, and it has been a fun bike to ride. I live in a rural area, so driving up and down ditches on gravel roads is a good way to pass the time. Last year towards the end of the summer I had changed the oil and took it out on the highway. It reached 60mph, then lost all forward power. The motor was still turning, and when given throttle I could tell it was being loaded, but no forward inertia at ALL. It slowed to 0mph, I pulled off, and it promptly died. Had my sister bring my pickup out to me and got it home. Ripped the head off and it seemed fine, so I tore the cylinder off and inspected the rod and piston. Clutch was good, crank turned super smooth, no slag/streaks/marks in/on the cylinder wall, and the piston/rings was dirty but okay.

I came to the conclusion I couldn't find the issue, and I didn't want to split the crank case/trans unit. I sorta just... gave up for the winter. I left it wide open with no rags covering it in the garage, for about 7 months. I finally decided it was going to run or be sold cheap, so I got a gasket set, resealed and reinstalled the engine, cleaned the carb, and added a small amount of fuel to the tank. Started up after about 15 seconds of cranking. I did not know what was going on, it didn't make sense to me that it broke, didn't get fixed, and suddenly started working. BUT, while filling the tank full for a road test, I found the issue. Fuel fouling via rust and water. I didn't believe that could have been the issue, because of how it died on the road. At the end of the road test (3 miles), I gave it a few pulls, and suddenly burnt oil and white smoke! I was 100 feet form the drive so I pulled in, shut it off, and saw I had forgotten to tighten the valve covers....

It runs like a dream now, and had a gasket set on at 2800 miles, so even though it was a dream before, it runs like a dream now. My father bought a Super Tenere and we plan on trying to make it to some offroad riding in Nevada next summer. If I make any adjustments or repairs I'll keep this thread up to date
xt.jpg

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I had dirt bikes in my youth and had a ton of fun on them. When gas went crazy high in price years ago... I bought a used DR 650 to combat the hugh price with fuel economy. Fixed it up... got my endorsement... plated and insured it... then realized that I could just not get comfortable driving it down the road. It wasn't my skills so much as the people I shared the road with. Thought I would just keep it for bombing around off road... nope... was comfortable with that either (the DR650 was a tank to run through the woods). So I sold it. Hopefully you enjoy it... looks like a clean bike.

Lord Corn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R15
I really do enjoy it because it is such a small engine/bike, and i'm not the smallest guy out there, which leads to some real "manhandling" steering tendencies. If it were heavier (like that DR650) I wouldn't have as much control I think. I do not feel comfortable on this bike in traffic (partly because it doesn't enjoy going above 55mph, it will hit 80 though) because I feel like i'm on a bicycle in the middle of the road, just not enough sustenance.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Just be careful out there... The general driving public is pretty scary

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I love enduro's. I'm a big fan of dirt bikes and 4 wheelers and always wanted a 300-600cc endure so I could use it to get to work if needed but still go hit the trails and jumps. It'll just be a pipe dream for now lol.

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
My first motorcycle was a XT250 .

And before this Ranger found me on " Good Luck to Buy Pickup Truck Day " , I had sorta thought about a cycle again . But as commented above, in my region has crazy drivers , and extreme traffic, and as often as I've been run into by idiots in my cars & trucks , I'm not really feeling like taking a semi- regular chance on a bike . Then it would either be 3hr trail tow to use an Endoro , or only use a big hwy bike once or twice a year for long road trip .

Lord Corn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R15
I love enduro's. I'm a big fan of dirt bikes and 4 wheelers and always wanted a 300-600cc
Yeah I wish I could find a 400 or 450 air cooled 4 stroke carb. Thatd be my dream enduro motor. I can get everything minus air cooled, or everything but on a 250cc :(

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals