• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My '64 International stepside

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
until this year for never made their own Diesel Engine , always has been an IH engine (the 6.7 is an IH Design , but Ford won the Blueprints and the Powerstroke Name in a court case)
In trucks yes, however they used to have a wide variaty of farm and construction equipment that they sold off and has since been passed around like a hot potato... and ironically enough is now also under the Fiat blanket with CNH and Dodge.

I like IH's gas truck engines, in diesels and ag gas engines they seemed to get way too much enjoyment out of complicating the heck out of everything.

I forgot about the Nissan diesels, never knew about the AMC gassers.

Last edited:

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
In trucks yes, however they used to have a wide variaty of farm and construction equipment that they sold off and has since been passed around like a hot potato... and ironically enough is now also under the Fiat blanket with CNH and Dodge.

I like IH's gas truck engines, in diesels and ag gas engines they seemed to get way too much enjoyment out of complicating the heck out of everything.

I forgot about the Nissan diesels, never knew about the AMC gassers.
I am a Big Fan of the 7.3 Powerstroke , they are quite easy once you get to know how they work , and yea , my 74 Scout II that my uncle is giving me the title to once I finish restoring it has an AMC 258 with a T428 4-speed . Dana 20 , Dana 44 Front and Rear (Custom order , last year before the 44 became standard front and rear) and 3.73 gears.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am a Big Fan of the 7.3 Powerstroke , they are quite easy once you get to know how they work , and yea , my 74 Scout II that my uncle is giving me the title to once I finish restoring it has an AMC 258 with a T428 4-speed . Dana 20 , Dana 44 Front and Rear (Custom order , last year before the 44 became standard front and rear) and 3.73 gears.
I have a 51 IH L130 (see build thread on here)

I have future plans of a 7.3 powerstroke. (tossed around the idea of IDI, as parts for IDI 7.3 are sooo cheap)

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
wish i could see the pic of yours at work, i have a 49 ih rat all done with the fixins love these trucks got some pics in my build of it

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wish i could see the pic of yours at work, i have a 49 ih rat all done with the fixins love these trucks got some pics in my build of it
cool im gonna check em out!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 51 IH L130 (see build thread on here)

I have future plans of a 7.3 powerstroke. (tossed around the idea of IDI, as parts for IDI 7.3 are sooo cheap)
There was a guy at a car show I went to a couple years ago that had a 4BT in a 1950's Chevy pickup. It sounded good and was a clean install... I would just rather see the stock I6 dolled up (which is rarely done and adds to the uniqueness IMO) if not a nice V8 of some sort though. :dntknw:

B2 Addict

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
37x12.50-17
I love keeping them original as possible, mine came with the lil 4 banger and that's how I want to keep it!! If I could just ever get started on mine, I'd be stoked!!!.....:icon_twisted:

:icon_cheers:
B2

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There was a guy at a car show I went to a couple years ago that had a 4BT in a 1950's Chevy pickup. It sounded good and was a clean install... I would just rather see the stock I6 dolled up (which is rarely done and adds to the uniqueness IMO) if not a nice V8 of some sort though. :dntknw:
The downsides to retaining the I-6's IMO outweigh the upsides. Parts are aweful to find, mine needs a block, (#5 cylinder is low compression due to a scarred cylinder wall) and they make like 160lb-ft torque tops. There is little aftermarket support for old I-6's and I prefer diesels. I was "bitten by the diesel bug" a couple years back, and since buying a gas 1/2 ton I've been missing my diesel. The cost of rebuilding a Original engine for this truck is fairly high. (at least 12-$1500) and for that price i can buy a donor 7.3 truck.

If I scrimp and buy the IDI 7.3 and turbo, I can likely buy a ford with solid front and rear axles and swap them under the IH. Then I will have a decent on fuel, reliable, CHEAP to fix, diesel powered truck with 450-500lb-ft thats reasonable on fuel.

B2 Addict

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
37x12.50-17
The downsides to retaining the I-6's IMO outweigh the upsides. Parts are aweful to find, mine needs a block, (#5 cylinder is low compression due to a scarred cylinder wall) and they make like 160lb-ft torque tops. There is little aftermarket support for old I-6's and I prefer diesels. I was "bitten by the diesel bug" a couple years back, and since buying a gas 1/2 ton I've been missing my diesel. The cost of rebuilding a Original engine for this truck is fairly high. (at least 12-$1500) and for that price i can buy a donor 7.3 truck.

If I scrimp and buy the IDI 7.3 and turbo, I can likely buy a ford with solid front and rear axles and swap them under the IH. Then I will have a decent on fuel, reliable, CHEAP to fix, diesel powered truck with 450-500lb-ft thats reasonable on fuel.

I think a 7.3 swap would be super sweet in your I.H., the truck just has that look that says DIESEL!!

I am wanting to keep the lil 4 banger with the 3 speed in mine simply for originality, if it is not feasible, I will have to go with a V8/manual trans combo and have me a "sleeper"!

B2

B2 Addict

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
37x12.50-17
Just in case y'all haven't seen it, here is the '70 model that is sitting next to my '64....:icon_twisted:

B2

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just in case y'all haven't seen it, here is the '70 model that is sitting next to my '64....:icon_twisted
B2
sick! That is cool. If I may ask, where do you plan on getting your tires? (Im sure they need replacing like mine!)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sick! That is cool. If I may ask, where do you plan on getting your tires? (Im sure they need replacing like mine!)
Should just be 15's, they are on a downhill slide but are still pretty available.

Dad has a '67 1100 that aside from being IH red is a twin to that '70, it even has 5x4.5 wheels (the offset is such that they stick out on a Ranger more than a Ranger wheel though) It has the 304 V8 and four speed on the floor.

His are still split/locking collar rims though... nobody wants to touch them. :annoyed:

B2 Addict

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
37x12.50-17
I am planning on running white walls from Coker Tire, painting the stock steelies red, and running the stock dog dish hubcaps!

The '70 model belonged to his dad and he won't let 'er go YET, the '64 he gave me is steadily waiting on funds to be put back on the road...:annoyed:

For those that don't want to go back to the 1st post just for pics, here is my '64 again, still sitting in the same spot for now...I want to get started on it soooo bad!! :drool:

The lil 4 banger....

B2

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think a 7.3 swap would be super sweet in your I.H., the truck just has that look that says DIESEL!!
When I see an old truck like his the first thing I think of is the old Chevy in Hatari! and its sweet I6 beller running down wild animals in Africa. It was so cool it could even squeal the tires on dirt. :D

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am planning on running white walls from Coker Tire, painting the stock steelies red, and running the stock dog dish hubcaps!

The '70 model belonged to his dad and he won't let 'er go YET, the '64 he gave me is steadily waiting on funds to be put back on the road...:annoyed:

For those that don't want to go back to the 1st post just for pics, here is my '64 again, still sitting in the same spot for now...[COLOR="Red"I want to get started on it soooo bad!![/COLOR] :drool:

B2
I know the feeling!
Thats exactly how I felt when I laid eyes on mine. I sold some tires, so I had 600 bucks to throw at it. I got pretty far, with a small amount! I felt like it was money well spent, I'll never get another chance to do something cool like this in my young years!!! And it keeps me looking up!
I think everyone should have a project. Whether it be small or big, its good to keep busy.

If you ever get too ancy, start with the easy stuff! clean it. Wash it. Get it running. (maintanence items for these trucks are cheap)

Thats where Im at. Just finished rebuilding the carb. (total cost, about 40 bucks)

Got my brakes working. (about $35)

Replaced the wires (about 60 bucks)

ETC ETC ETC

good luck man keep us posted!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals