• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My AR Build

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I was at a local gun store a few weeks ago and started looking at all the AR stuff. Then last weekend I went to a gun show and started looking some more. Everything seems to be back down where it was before the "panic". so then a few days later, my wife told me that i wasnt allowed to buy any more guns once we start having kids. (yeah right, i'll get a 2nd job to fund my bronco and gun addictions if i have to lol) that set off a "panic" within myself, so I decided to build one. from my research, you can save a little money and make exactly what you want.

******EDIT******

Price breakdown:

del-ton stripped lower: $120 (LGS)
PSA stripped upper: $70 (PSA)
Magpul grip: $21 (LGS)
PSA lower parts kit: $68 (PSA)
BCG: $110 (heroes tactical)
BCM Mod 4 charging handle: $53 (LGS)
Buttstock/Buffer tube: $33 (PSA)
YHM Gas block: $25 (PSA)
PSA Gas tube: $8 (PSA)
quad rail: $51 (ebay)
16" barrel: $120 (midwayusa)
muzzle brake: $6 (midwayusa)
magpul trigger guard: $9 (amazon)
5 magazines: $66 (LGS)
forward assist kit: $19 (LGS)
dust cover kit: $6 (midwayusa)

TOTAL: $785

started with a order to palmetto state armory for a classic LPK and then a cheap ass buttstock, buffer tube, buffer and buffer spring. trying to see how cheap i can do it to start, but i plan on getting a magpul grip and buttstock for it as money permits.

i searched and searched for a stripped lower. the gun stores around here were asking way too much for them, $160+. i said screw that and kept looking, eventually finding a del-ton in a local gun shop for $120. the del-ton website says their out of stock and they're listed at $120, so i didnt think it was too bad.
del-ton are made in NC, so i was able to support a local gun store and a manufacturer here.

they also had some p-mags for $14 a piece, so i got a few of them too. it says M&P on it, but they fit just fine.

then put it together this afternoon

it went together really easy and it's not at all a hard thing to do. took less than 30 minutes and that included test fitting the mags and making sure the safety and trigger was working. i'll def be building another at some point.

now i'm scraping together money for an upper. i'll most likely buy a complete one since it would cost more to build it. there's another gun show here aug 3-4, so i plan on getting one then.

and yes, the trigger guard is still missing, i didnt use the one that came with the LPK. i got a magpul on the way. i also have an ambi sling mount on the way too. stay tuned! :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking good man! What are you planning to run for the upper? You wanting to go free float?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
not sure yet. i'll have to see what i can find. leaning towards freet float, but that could change. i was thinking of getting a bull barrel upper, but i've already got a remington 700 with a heavy barrel. too many choices and options. lol

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
found out that you can use model paint on the lowers with pretty good results. we'll see how long it lasts once i start shooting it.

should be getting a few more parts in this week, may go to a gun store this weekend and get a few things too.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That paint really pops. Looks good!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
thanks man, i think i like it. i could end up duracoating everything down the road, but i wanted to try it out.

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I filled in the engravings on my XD. It held up great while shooting, but not so well during cleaning. But on the lower you should be fine.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
even if it does come off, it's really easy to touch up. just use a toothpick to apply it, let it dry for a few minutes. dab it with a paper towel or rag, let it dry more. then dab some paint thinner on a rag and wipe over it. real easy and doesnt screw up the finish on the lower.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
You know, at most gun shops and places they sell sight paint, for painting your sights and I heard you can use that stuff and it works pretty well.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah i've heard of that, but i had the model paint and paint thinner laying around the house already

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
got some parts in the mail today

also bought a wrench and some brass punches (to use on this gun and all my others)

not happy with the sling mount. as you can see it's frickin gloss black and looks out of place. it doesnt look anything like the picture on amazon. luckily it was only $7 shipped. i'll look for another at the next gun show i go to.

i like the magpul trigger guard though.

lookin at this upper. from the reviews i've read, they are good quality, but it can take a while to get them sometimes. we'll see. they dont come with a charging handle or bolt carrier group though.
http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-A3-Upper-Receiver-With-16-Barrel--PARKED--M4---ZM4CBUM4PARK/productinfo/ZM4CBUM4PARK/

silver03gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/245
Transmission
Manual
Looking good man. I just finished my ar build about 2 weeks ago and I am already thinking about selling it so I can buy car/truck parts. Its a Mega lower with a BCM Upper and Fortis free float handgaurd.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
nice....i plan on gettin the same buttstock and pistol grip for mine.

silver03gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/245
Transmission
Manual
The Magpul grip is a lot more comfortable than the Blackthorne grip that came with my lower build kit.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i held one at a gun store when i bought my stripped lower. i think i'm gonna go back and get it this weekend.

what do you have in your setup? the BCM uppers can get pricy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals