• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My "custom" front suspension lift (lots of pics)

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been driving my 89 BII on the stock (explorer coils) for years with James Duff (JD) extented radius arms while riding on 33"s. I would like to go to to bigger tires and knew the only way was to go up with suspension or cut the fenders more. I wanted to keep the center of gravity as low as possible so I decided to piece together the parts to get around a 2" lift.

I started by getting JD coil buckets. I then shopped the MOOG coil spring catalog till I found the coils I figured would work best, Part Number CC810, for a 66-77 F150. When the coils came in they fit the new coil buckets perfectly but were to big for the stock D35 coils seats. So I called JD back and ordered the new HD seats for the Classic Bronco. When they arrived it was determined that they wouldn't fit without mods. I had to drill the center of the seats for the bolt that orginally held the stock coil on. I also had to notch them to fit around the knuckles the D35.

Once everything was on the truck and it was back on the ground I measured for shocks and ordered quad shocks from JD. Well shocks arrived and were put on and off I went to Hot Springs Offroad Park in Hot Springs, AR. The pieced together parts worked GREAT and I couldn't be happier with them. My rear leafs are shot so the front felt really soft but I figure when I put some explorer leafs in the coils will fell fine. The truck rode and drove good on and offroad. Bottom line couldn't be happier. Now before someone ask I forgot to measure before I took the old suspension off but I figure I got 2-2.5" of lift. Here are some pictures of the BII flexing it stuff on the ramp at Hot Springs. Sorry no trail pics.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_thumby: And I like the color scheme :D

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
Did you do the install of the JD product yourself? If so, how hard was the install? Looks great! As for myself I really don't want a whole bunch of lift. I already have a 2" body lift and would really like to leave it right where its at, but I need better suspension. Do you think that can be achieved with the JD product?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I think I see a rub mark on your axleshaft... If so, you should widen up the window where the shaft goes through the beam, as any rubbing there greatly stresses the shaft & u-joints on that side (not to mention hinders your flex).

Also, check the radius arm-to-axle bolts where they enter into the beam too... Chances are you'll need to shorten them up as well (I had to shorten mine a good half-inch).

Looks good though. I like what you did with the coil seat to clear the inner C on the beam. :icon_thumby:

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
disciplerocks - your just being bias! thanks.

JoeyB - The JD parts where easy to install and if you can grind rivits and drill holes you can do it. Well worth it for what i use it for. I love the flex and ride!

4x4Junkie - I wondered if it was going to hit or not and to be honest I never even looked. I will take a look and widen window if needed. Didn't even think about the two bolts coming into the beam. I will remove a few threads from them.

steve

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looks great, glad you found some great coils. I've been trying to figure out a good set up for my rig. Are the JD coil buckets taller than the stockers?

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
97fordrunner- i dont know for sure. they appear to be but i didnt measure them.

steve

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Very nice set-up! I like it, and I agree that the color scheme looks good too.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
No, the JD buckets are same height as the stockers.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought I was the only one who wanted just 2" with my body lift.If I take my body lift out my flush mount winch won't work exhaust wont fit and it will be much harder to work on.

What I did was raise my stock buckets 11/2"put in 4" Skyjacker coils and TRS shocks.Long brake hoses were required too.It worked better but I could see stock R/A were pretty stiff.I built the square tubing long R/A and it really came to life.

With the sway bar disconnected and the tires down really rides smooth a lot of rigs ride ruff takes a lot of fun away being bounced around.

Do you feel the dual shocks instead of a sway bar works good?

Do You figure your going to be able to run 35" tires with that setup?
Boy it sure looks good.

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Trail B2 yes I love the ride of the TTB! And with the new F150 coils it seems to ride even better. They have a softer spring rate (270) than the Explorer coils had (463). I really never noticed much difference with sway bar removed when running the Explorer coils. I have had it off for years and still running single shock and never had too much body lean. I do feel that the duals are needed if running a softer coil without swaybar though.

As for if 35's will fit or not I believe they will. If you look at the 2nd picture the bump stop is compressed so thats as far as the suspension will move up. If you add 1" to each side (or top and bottom) of the current tire (33) you can make a guess if larger tire (35) will fit or add 2" per side for 37's. Looks like I can get 35's no problem in front. As for the back I will have to replace my leafs first to see what it looks like. Everyone says 1.5-2" lift with Explorer leafs so I dont see why they wont work. My cousin has 35's on his jeep so I will borrow them to test fit before I buy anything. Would love to go up to 37's but that will depend on what the 35's look like and how much more I would have to cut from the fenders.

Steve

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you going to regear when you go to 35's? Are yougoing to install lockers?

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats the plan but money is the hinding factor right now. If everything goes as planned I will have rear locker and regeared by end of summer.

You going to be at Pop's the 9th? I was just telling Ransom about that place last weekend and then you guys decided to meet there. We will be there.

Steve

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yup, I'll be there with my B2. Lookin forward to seeing yours again. I've just upgraded my tranny since last year. Gonna start on the lift over the next year.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals