• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My used-to-me 1982 Suzuki GS850G

Lord Corn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R15
Hey all, I recently picked up an older motorcycle from my brother, who got it from our father. I rode on the back of it during a Grand Canyon camping trip, with my father driving (I was also the photographer!). My brother drove a 1980s Suzuki Intruder 700cc on the trip, then bought the 850 from my dad when he got a Goldwing. Now it takes up space in his garage so he sold it to me for a total of $1. It has a few issues; When hot, it will seep oil from the stator side cover. It runs well when started, but must be choked for wayyyy to long, even in semi-warm conditions. The kickstand sensor always reads that the kickstand is down.

My father raced motocross for 15-20 years, and owned this exact bike since it got delivered to him in a crate (his friend's dad owned a dealership in the 80s). I have all the notes he (and my brother) wrote over the years, such as when the carbs were replaced with the GS1000G models, when the fork seals were replaced, etc. I was also given a manometer with 4 mercury tubes to help tune the CV carbs as their is one per cylinder, and a Clymer service manual with full color wiring diagrams. I'm excited to get this bike running smooth as It will be my first real road bike. It got a new seat in 2008, and I have the original headlight which will go on when I remove the fairing. I intend to repaint the tank, fenders, and side covers.
g.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
My first ride was an 82 GS750E. Great bikes! Check out the GS Resources if you haven't already.

Lord Corn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R15
Yeah I went searching for a good forum and they seem to be the top one, i'm sure they will be as friendly as TRS!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals